Forum home Family & kids cycling forum

Helmet for a 2 year old

Tigger con carneTigger con carne Posts: 181
Does anyone have any recommendations for a helmet for a two year old? I'm getting a bike seat for our little'n so he needs a lid. Saw a really cool Dart Maul one worn by an older kid at the Leeds Sky Ride which I thought was really cool, but he's not aware of Star Wars....yet.

Also, any tips on using a child seat? Do I need to get a kick stand or something to make getting him in and out of the seat easier?

• oxomanoxoman Posts: 8,199
    Don't use a kick stand, not stable enough IMHO to hold the bike and potentially moving child. We always loaded youngest up between us whenever possible. When he was able to assist us we used to let him climb up and down himself whilst we straddled the bike and then clipped in. When riding with kids on the back you soon notice every movement movement's make. You will get strong arm muscles if doing much cycling with little on the back. It was great when I got mine on a tagalong bike and then on his own. As to helmet I remember we got him a Bob the builder one to start with. Looked cute.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • UnderscoreUnderscore Posts: 730
    All three of ours started with MET Super Buddy helmets from our LBS. Available in a range of patterns...
  • Daz555Daz555 Posts: 4,040
    Before you buy a child seat, have a look at a trailer. I have had both with my kids and had I tried a trailer first the seat would never have got a look-in.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.