Barriers on TDF climbs?

markmergler
markmergler Posts: 6
edited July 2013 in The cake stop
This year has seen some near misses with fans and riders, should barriers be used on all of the major climbs?

An example here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls3NxXSb1K0

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Yes; like there are on Sustrans routes. Riders would have to get off and push their bikes through.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Good on the guy - bit more of that and the problem of running fans would soon stop.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Seems to be worse every year. The main objective of many seems to just be getting their grinning mug on telly for a fraction of a second. Increasing number of people are interferers rather than spectators, and having to get shoved out of the way or shaken off by riders.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Having barriers all along the route would kill the atmosphere of the big climbs.
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Great video haha funny how he wants to start a fight then the chunky bird starts on him and hes on his toes haha
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    While I understand there is a bit of "tradition" involved, and I wouldn't like to see cycling distanced from the fans, I have to say they make me f****** mad as **** the ******* ******* :evil: :evil: :evil:
    The guy in blue should have stamped on his ******* head, the ******* **** :evil: :evil: :evil:

Other than that, I'm not too bothered :wink:

Seriously, imagine your tour being over due to some self centred moron knocking you off and injuring you :roll:
    Best leave it there!
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Good. He deserved to be decked just for looking like Nathan Barley, let alone acting like a gobshite! I think there was another incident earlier on in the Tour, not sure which stage, where the attention seeking fool was put on his backside with what I believe is known in the wrestling game as a 'clothesline'. I rewound and watched it a few times as it was such a quality move!

I do understand that people get excited and passionate, but running alongside riders like a gormless idiot with absolutely no sense of yours or their space and endangering everyone is an act that does deserve swift retribution.
  • Bwgan
    Bwgan Posts: 389
    Beautiful! It's really pee'd me off (1st year of watching) seeing a very narrow gap for the guys to ride through and sometimes having to adjust their angle slightly because some fat topless bell end is running along side them carrying an inflatable crocodile. Mother played a clip today of a rider being knocked off last year I think it was
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    If I'd been waiting most of the day to see the leader coming through and then someone ran between me and "my view", I'd want to lamp tw@t too.

The older I get, the better I was.

• declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    I really hope that a spectator knocks a rider off sometime, and the rider is allowed to give him a really good kicking with his Speedplay cleats. F*cking twatwaffles...

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    No, barriers would kill the whole identity of the sport which is famous for making the spectators almost in one with the riders.

Besides, yeah - we get a few idiots running alongside the riders now and then but considering how many people we often see on the mountains is the problem really that big? I don't think it is.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I say keep the atmosphere, although yesterday on AdH did seem particularly mental. What other sport has commentators who can say "a rider was almost knocked off there, by a nun and a man dressed as a banana" and still keep a serious tone. I heard Phil Ligget say this recently.

This, i think, is my personal favourite., "The Mask" getting a b*ll*cking from Christian Prudhomme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc2MBnRMvQU
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    It's a total lack of respect for the sport by a few self-serving attention whores.

Glad that twunt got decked.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    When they've dealt with the runners they need to start on those who think they are Graham Watson looking through the viewfinder intent on getting some crappy snapshot rather than enjoying the moment with no idea the rider is about 2 seconds away from them. Or those geniuses that are strapping a camera to a pole and holding it in front of the racers - just buy an effing magazine and you'll get a shedload of professionally taken shots for a fiver.

And after them those who think it's a good time to get their favourite flag on TV.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    The man in the blue shirt is the hero cycling needs. A few more of his type and the problem should go away.

What I find almost as annoying to watch are the people who scream advice to the cyclist despite having a pot belly and cankles.
  • barrybridges
    barrybridges Posts: 420
    I know this might sound odd, but watching the AdH stage I couldn't help but think the crowds are detracting from the possible setting of new best times for the climb.

The way the crowds were spread out pushing the riders to the further (outside) of the road, which I imagine across 21 bends and 15km would add up to a few 100m of extra distance.

I don't really care for the fans getting close, but maybe it could be managed so that the inside line is always left for the riders?
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I know this might sound odd, but watching the AdH stage I couldn't help but think the crowds are detracting from the possible setting of new best times for the climb.

The way the crowds were spread out pushing the riders to the further (outside) of the road, which I imagine across 21 bends and 15km would add up to a few 100m of extra distance.

I don't really care for the fans getting close, but maybe it could be managed so that the inside line is always left for the riders?
    Sometimes they choose to take the wider line as although it is longer, it is flatter.
    Just saying. :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    After being in the midst of it on the last hairpin of the Croix Fry this year it's not bad at all. The throng is actually quite good fun and very controlled. The cops don't bat an eyelid. It just looks mental on the TV - and the riders in the bus often have a laugh with the fans...

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2013/07/degen ... -the-alpe/
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    If British (or adopted African) riders are doing well, then there should be barriers. Otherwise, there should be loads of free beer and wine and let the carnage continue.

I think you should get time bonuses for punching spectators. 10 secs for a face, 2 for a body shot. 20 secs if you stop and hit them more than once, 25 if they are waving a National flag. Violent cyclists in cleats on a steep hill vs drunken fat spectators. Brilliant.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    GiantMike wrote:
    If British (or adopted African) riders are doing well, then there should be barriers. Otherwise, there should be loads of free beer and wine and let the carnage continue.

I think you should get time bonuses for punching spectators. 10 secs for a face, 2 for a body shot. 20 secs if you stop and hit them more than once, 25 if they are waving a National flag. Violent cyclists in cleats on a steep hill vs drunken fat spectators. Brilliant.
    At my signal, unleash Hinault! :lol:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Having barriers all along the route would kill the atmosphere of the big climbs.

No it wouldn't - not in the slightest.

They could put the barriers halfway across the road and still keep the tunnel effect with the morons safely out of harms way.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    They could put the barriers halfway across the road and still keep the tunnel effect with the morons safely out of harms way.

Yeah?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF4CNHJkZZE
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited July 2013
    Having barriers all along the route would kill the atmosphere of the big climbs.

No it wouldn't - not in the slightest.

The first thing Fuglsang said when asked about the spectators on Alpe was that it was amazing atmosphere, but it faded quite a bit when they reached the top with barriers on either side.. But quoting a pro rider shouldn't even be necessary. You just have to be at the races yourself to know that the parts with barriers obviously aren't the same. At all.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    ThomThom wrote:
    The first thing Fuglsang said when asked about the spectators on Alpe was that it was amazing atmosphere, but it faded quite a bit when they reached the top with barriers on either side.. But quoting a pro rider shouldn't even be necessary. You just have to be at the races yourself to know that the parts with barriers obviously isn't the same. At all.

This^

The fans on the climbs love it
    The vast majority of the riders love it (apart from the dogs on the loose and the odd one getting in the way)
    The Police don't seem to mind it

The armchair heroes don't like it - tough - majority wins - no barriers!
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    daviesee wrote:

Sometimes they choose to take the wider line as although it is longer, it is flatter.
    Just saying. :wink:

i think you'll find that they have to go wider and longer because they're simply going too fast for the inside line.

:shock: