Rigid MTB Suggestions

Mitze90
Mitze90 Posts: 23
edited July 2013 in MTB beginners
Currently riding a generic rubbish rigid MTB mainly for the ride to catch the train, and the odd bit of fairly worn in tracks. Now I'm looking to buy a fairly decent rigid mtb to ride at weekends, preferably I don't want to spend much more than £300, but I could push it to at most a grand. I'm not after anything fancy, just something low maintence and newbie friendly.

I can't seem to find many fully rigid MTBs tho. Anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why rigid? Forks need less maintenance than gears for example.

There are a few (or buy a hardtail and put some rigid forks on it?)

Voodoo Marasa (Halfords) is worth a look, Shimano hydraulic brakes and 29er....marketed as a Hybrid but plenty strong enough for offroad use.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mitze90
    I was just saying fully rigid as I've seen it mentioned that front suspension is pretty rubbish in the under a grand bikes. So its better the money went elsewhere.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Unfortunately you are misinformed

You can get a boardman pro HT with 2x10 and a reba fork for well under a grand. That's pretty damn far from rubbish. Actually you can get loads of bike that are very well specified at below your price.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Mitze90
    Maybe I shouldn't have said a grand, I mean 300 with 500 at a push. The missus wouldn't be amused if I dropped a grand on a weekend bike.

I am tempted to build one, mainly for the experience and knowledge it would give me towards keeping it maintained. But then I'd be stuck on frames lol imjust to picky is half my problem.
  • The Rookie
    Rockrider 8.1 from Decathlon, £550 and a ruddy good fork, or the 5.3 for a pretty good fork and £350ish (from memory).

Unless you use 'pre-loved' parts building a bike to the same standard will cost you more.

Whoever told you was a chump.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mitze90
    The chump would be a bikeradar guide lol
    So, are front-suspension-only bikes the best option? Not necessarily. Most new sub-£500 mountain bikes come equipped with a suspension fork. Manufacturers say that's because it's what riders want, and that's partly true. But what a lot of new riders don't realise is that many suspension forks on sub-£500 bikes are so bad that they can make trail riding harder rather than easier.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is says 'many' - not all ;-). And that is very true, just have to find the good ones, or sale bikes.

The rockrider 5.3 is an excellent bike.
  • The Rookie
    Argh, not the teller being the chump but the reader.....it could just as well have said many have perfectly good ones.......obviously the further below £500 you get the greater the chance of them being poor, the more you spend the less chance.