Decathlon BTWin gear

surfatwork
surfatwork Posts: 82
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Hi, planning to visit Decathlon this weekend. Any inputs on the quality of Decathlon stuff - tops, shorts etc.? Anything cycling gear in particular that is really good and worth buying?
2011 Scott S30
2004 Trek 4500
2009 Trek 7.1

Comments

• daveski12
    daveski12 Posts: 158
    I have a few things, padded shorts, bib shorts, jerseys, shoes, innertubes and water bottles. Probably more.

Think its all good value. Jeresys are some times on offer for £5. Perfect for me as I cycle nearly every day.

Bib shorts I've found cheaper elsewhere, pays to look out for the sales if you're doing it on a budget. Got three pairs from Planet-X recently for £20 each.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    The have three grades of shorts.

IME the middle of the three (red pad) is OK for upto 30 miles or so, the top (orange/black) actually is quite reaonable for as long as you like. I would not bother with the entry level personally.

I have better shorts but then again I have worse. For the money thay are reasonable.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    It's fine, I've got a few sets of BTwin stuff, tend to get it when I am on the continent as it's cheaper, I've done rides upwards of 100 miles on their mid level bibs, no problems.
  • surfatwork
    thanks a lot for the feedback. bibs on the list then, for sure.
    2011 Scott S30
    2004 Trek 4500
    2009 Trek 7.1
  • dfriel2
    dfriel2 Posts: 47
    I have the bib shorts (red pad) and no issues at all. Bought in France for 25 euros so a bargain. Check sizing before you buy - the racks can be cluttered....
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    smidsy wrote:
    The have three grades of shorts.
    IME the middle of the three (red pad) is OK for upto 30 miles or so, the top (orange/black) actually is quite reaonable for as long as you like. I would not bother with the entry level personally.
    I have better shorts but then again I have worse. For the money thay are reasonable.
    ^This. Spot on. Good value for money, my red-pad shorts are still going strong after 2000 miles and one big crash. Avoid the cheapest stuff though.
  • I think the B'Twin gear is great.

My only caveat would be to say that there higher end stuff is, in my opinion, a bit comparatively overpriced. But if you can pick it up in the sale (which you often can), its good kit.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I've had a few jerseys, socks and shorts and have all been decent for the money and are lasting well, best purchase was a Btwin lightweight jacket which has been fantastic in all kinds of weather. The only items I would avoid are the gloves, had 2 pairs and neither of them have lasted very long before splitting and it is now one item of kit I spend more money on branded stuff.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Wife had a female fit jersey given as a present and it was a really bad design/fit.
    The Campag one I got her in a sale is head and shoulders better.

I am not knocking Decathlon generally, but I would look elsewhere for certain items.
  • Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    +1 on the red pad bib shorts
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Anyone got the bottle cages?
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    i got an elite bottle cage from decathlon for £7 which included a water bottle. Most ebay sellers are flogging the elite cages at £7.99 with no bottle thrown in.
  • P34RC3
    P34RC3 Posts: 37
    Iv had tops shorts bib high vis coat gloves and leggings from them. The shorts and bib padding doesnt last long enough imo. Iv since moved onto the more expensive gear. The bib i got from giant is alot better quality and the padding is brilliant. cost about £30 mind you. Other than that i cant fault there goods.
  • surfatwork
    thks everyone. I bought a red pad bib (£23.99 with discount) and a full-sleeve top (£5 with discount). I visited the Reading store, and must say it was quite messy. finding something was usually a challenge, items were displayed in some haphazard random fashion. probably wont go back.
    2011 Scott S30
    2004 Trek 4500
    2009 Trek 7.1
  • willow71uk
    willow71uk Posts: 114
    The socks are quality.
  • When I wanted to get a pair of Roubaix bib tights the store listed them as in stock. However, when I visited I couldn't find them. Once home, I decided to e-mail the store to express my disappointment, yeah I was having a grumpy moment. Anyhow they e-mailed me back saying they'd located the bibs and if I wanted them they would happily dispatch them if I was happy to pay via a card.

Can't fault that sort of service.
  • surfatwork
    When I wanted to get a pair of Roubaix bib tights the store listed them as in stock. However, when I visited I couldn't find them. Once home, I decided to e-mail the store to express my disappointment, yeah I was having a grumpy moment. Anyhow they e-mailed me back saying they'd located the bibs and if I wanted them they would happily dispatch them if I was happy to pay via a card.

Can't fault that sort of service.
    ummmm...unless I am grossly mistaken, the whole point of going to a real store is that it allows one to see/touch/feel the product, perhaps even try it on before dciding whether to buy or not.
    If I wanted my stuff sent by mail, then I would shop at an online store - why go to decathlon.
    If the store cant "locate" the product (and from what I saw, I'd be astonished if they could locate anything), I think the point of the store is debatable.
    2011 Scott S30
    2004 Trek 4500
    2009 Trek 7.1
  • trappy666
    trappy666 Posts: 39
    After finding out that buying a new bike sub £250 is not a good idea, I'm looking and weighing up the options of a B'TWIN Triban and saw one on the Decathlon website. Anyone else got one? How is it and is Decathlon worth buying from?
  • go to the triban owners club webby and see for yourself, plenty of advice on that bike over there
  • ummmm...unless I am grossly mistaken, the whole point of going to a real store is that it allows one to see/touch/feel the product, perhaps even try it on before dciding whether to buy or not.
    If I wanted my stuff sent by mail, then I would shop at an online store - why go to decathlon.
    If the store cant "locate" the product (and from what I saw, I'd be astonished if they could locate anything), I think the point of the store is debatable.

I knew from previous purchases the size I needed, and as for having a 'see/touch/feel the product' there were other sizes available to do this with, just not the size I wanted. :D