What are the most iconic climbs in Europe?

CoutinhoRed
CoutinhoRed Posts: 67
edited July 2013 in Road general
To the avid cyclist, if you were to suggest a few climbs they must do before they die, what would you suggest?

I know Mont Ventoux and Alp D'Huez are two obvious choices, but what about angrilu? Looks pretty nasty!

Any decent climbs in southern England even? (not Surrey - done most of their climbs).

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    What about the Bealach na Ba, the pass to Applecross?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    The most iconic are those linked to the Tour de France and the Giro d'Italia, so Alps and Pyrenees

I would add to those you mentioned: Tourmalet, Aubisque, Puy de Dome, Galibier and Izoard for the Tour de France and

Mortirolo, Stelvio and Gavia for the Giro d'Italia
    left the forum March 2023
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Koppenberg
  • ugo.santalucia
    Imposter wrote:
    Koppenberg

In a way... hardly a climb... a steep bump of stones... I would say the Muur at Geraardsbergen is THE iconic "climb" of the Tour of Flanders... only a moment of madness has seen it removed from the course since 2012

With the same meter one could add the Poggio, the Redoute, Ghisallo and all those minor climbs scattered in the Classics... probably the Ghisallo is the only one that can be considered a climb
  • imposter2.0
    Imposter wrote:
    Koppenberg

In a way... hardly a climb... a steep bump of stones...

not been up it then?
  • for the Pyrenees icons, hautacam too
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Imposter wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Koppenberg

not been up it then?

I would be surprised if he had not.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Imposter wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Koppenberg

not been up it then?

4 times, but a 60 mt drop is a 60 mt drop, it's not an iconic climb in my books. There are roads in London that have more elevation (although they aren't cobbled and they don't go up 20%).
    Maybe it's my different definitions, I was born behind a hill with a 300 mt drop and I never considered it a real climb, just a hill.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Rosedale Chimney Bank, that was the most iconic climb I remember from my childhood. The boys on the milkrace seemed to find it less troublesome than I did. :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • ugo.santalucia
    This is the one I WANT to do at least once

2009_tour_de_suisse_stage4_peloton_passo_del_san_gottardo_gotthard_pass.jpg
  • imposter2.0
    Imposter wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Koppenberg

not been up it then?

4 times, but a 60 mt drop is a 60 mt drop, it's not an iconic climb in my books. There are roads in London that have more elevation (although they aren't cobbled and they don't go up 20%).
    Maybe it's my different definitions, I was born behind a hill with a 300 mt drop and I never considered it a real climb, just a hill.

Go back and read the OP - the guy said 'iconic', not 'highest'.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,292
    For iconic you'd have to have the Mortirolo, Stelvio, Gavia and Zoncolan as a minimum from the Giro climbs.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Pross wrote:
    For iconic you'd have to have the Mortirolo, Stelvio, Gavia and Zoncolan as a minimum from the Giro climbs.

The Zoncolan is certainly the hardest climb, a brute, but is it iconic? I recall it being introduced in the Giro about 10 years ago for the first time and I think it has been done 4 times since... Maybe I confuse legendary with Iconic, don't know... :roll: