Clubs in Essex

Tjgoodhew
Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
After getting 1000 miles under my belt since starting cycling in January i am now looking to join a club.

I usually aim to do about 100miles a week at the moment and can comfortably ride 40-50 miles between 16-17mph average depending on conditions. I ultimately want to start TT'ing and the long term view is to start racing so i need a club that can help me improve and have the opportunity to do these

I live in Leigh-On-Sea and that seems to give me two options - Southend Wheelers and Essex Roads. Looking at their websites both seem like good clubs and have options of the above.

But reading about their club rides i seem to stuck in a bit of a limbo area. Im not quite strong enough to get involved with the longer, training rides (over 22mph average for maybe 60 miles) but at the same time im not sure riding in a group doing 40 miles at 18mph with a cake stop is going to help me improve.

Im hoping their are some members of either of these clubs that can give me a bit of advice and if there are any other clubs in my local area for me to consider.

Thanks
Cannondale Caad8
Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Just from a general perspective:

If you currently ride 40 miles at 16mph and the club run does 40 at 18mph - there is quite a lot of effort needed to average another 2mph (unless you are on the wheel all the time).

So you could go on the slower one and see how you get on. If it is too easy you could sit on the front and make the job harder for you. Next time you could then go on the quicker one and see if you can indeed keep up.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Tjgoodhew
    Thanks Smidsy,

I think that is my only option and as you say i can always step up.

I havent done any real group riding but from reading the forums people say riding in a group makes a massive difference to overall speed.

I did the Great Kent 60 mile sportive a few weeks back and got riding in a group of about 7 for the first 20 miles before my riding buddy needed to make a stop. Our speed didnt fall below 22mph and was up at 24/25mph for quite a while. There was possibly a slight tail wind and i wanted to really push myself so spent a large amount of time on the front.

Lets just say the last 10 miles of the ride i was in a world of pain :)

But it did give me some confidence that i would be able to hold my own at a club.

Now its just getting on and doing it
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

• neal1984
    neal1984 Posts: 240
    I'm not a member (yet) but have been out with Essex roads twice. I found the social group to (around 16mph) to be suitable for my needs as it's a big step up to the training rides (18mph I might be able to manage but I could never keep up on the hills). They are all a really friendly bunch and I should be going out with them again on Sunday. As there is no commitment to join why not just pop along to a couple of rides and see how you get on? See how hard you find the training rides as at least you should be pushing yourself.

Life is like riding a bicycle: you don't fall off unless you stop pedaling.

Scott Foil Team Issue HMX Di2
    Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    I am a member of Southend Wheelers, we have a diverse mix of members ranging from purely social riders, and soem strong riders who race regulary. There are two meet times on a sunday, 0900 and 1000. The 0900 group heads out for about 50 miles with no stop, the route is always a loops which gets back to the Village Hall for tea and cake after the ride. Teh pace of this ride depends on who is there, and if it is quite a wide range of abiliuty the group will split after a while with riders choosing where they fit best (or indeed how they feel on the day). The 1000 group is mor elike lots of smaller groups, peopel tend to go out in small groups of simialr ability riding local loops in and around the Canewdon Wallasea Ashing area. Now these can vary widely in th espeeds and distance, but everyone knows who is doing what.

During the summer there is a comprehensive TT programme with regular weds eve 10's and many other weekend events at 10 25 and 50 miles. FO rroad racing you can have a start at Dunton on thursday eves (GO Race) a few of th eguys do this, and depending on your ability either stick with that or expand further.

Hope this has helped a little, try both Clubs and see what you prefer, there are others in our locale too, ie Chelmer, Gateway, Maldon and Shaftesbury to name a few.

Good Luck!
  • Tjgoodhew
    Thanks TT.

That sounds about right. Im not keen on the idea of messing about stopping half way through so 50 miles and i like the idea of a split with people of different speeds and abilities etc.. The TT and road racing is possibly something i will hope to tackle next year due to time constraints in the week but joining a club with that option is def what im looking for.

I cant make the next couple of weeks - London to Southend this Sunday and am away the week after. But will def be making an appearance one weekend in August
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

• Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    ERCC have four groups and the one that Neal refers to is group 3. Group 2 are approx 18mph avg over 50-60 miles. They sometimes stop, sometimes don't.

The speeds will depend on terrain that week and the make up of the group. You have to consider that whilst you may not think 18mph is a challenge for you, you shouldn't be riding with a group that is always waiting for you because the speed is a challenge. Ride with a group that you can keep with until you can easily keep with them, then move up a level.

ERCC time trials are at East Hanningfield on Weds evenings. There are some seriously fast riders there and you will get lots of encouragement/training tips/etc.

ERCC is the biggest club in Essex but there are many others and most if not all will have a group that suits your ability level.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Tjgoodhew
    Thanks Bar Skaker.

I feel Group 3 would be a good place for me to start and then see how i go from there. I dont think im far off from the group 2 but time will tell and i will be pushing myself to get stronger and stronger

From the sounds of it i should go along to both ERCC and SW for a couple of rides and see what suits me best

:)
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

• NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    You must be around my neck of the woods Barshaker, I sometimes go out with ERCC for a change of scenery, same with the weds eve events, I come and ride the ERCC to have a change of course