Interesting approach to an old problem

term1te
term1te Posts: 1,462
edited July 2013 in Pro race
I don't know if it has been covered in the depths of another thread, but came across this article today describing how mathematical modeling and game theory have been applied to PEDs in sport. Apparently it is all our fault.
http://www.economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21581978-sportsmen-who-take-drugs-may-be-prisoners-different-game-athletes-dilemma?fsrc=nlw|hig|7-18-2013|6161452|36142937|

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    edited July 2013
    That's part of the reason some of those that see doping everywhere piss me off. They keep telling riders they can't win otherwise.

Edit: should have read before commenting, the new players in the game are interesting, though the conclusion is pretty much what people have been saying for years, especially about football. Interesting that it can be modeled though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Term1te wrote:
    I don't know if it has been covered in the depths of another thread, but came across this article today describing how mathematical modeling and game theory have been applied to PEDs in sport. Apparently it is all our fault.
    http://www.economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21581978-sportsmen-who-take-drugs-may-be-prisoners-different-game-athletes-dilemma?fsrc=nlw|hig|7-18-2013|6161452|36142937|

Cyclonomics or Soccernomics sort of thing no? There's a good article in the Cycling Anthology 1 on it. It was HTC's key to success...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Something that seemed missing from that article was what might be called "The Money Factor". I'm thinking that, mostly, pro athletes cheat for the money. Gamblers do it for the money. Criminals are very partial to money. Hell, everyone does things for money(pretty much). Yet this wasn't taken into account here.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    The model succinctly points out the bleeding obvious that you can't have a sports governing body being responsible for the dope-testing of that sport. Interesting article.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Agree with all of that totally.