Hollowtech BB fitment

paulc33
paulc33 Posts: 254
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a shimano xt hollowtech crank and bb I just got.
Need a bit of help fitting it.

It comes with a spacer ring and unsure where this fits.

First off I put it on the drive side between the bearing cups and the frame but the gears rubbed and wouldn't change properly or into the top ring at all.

I then took the spacer out completely but now the crank seems to have play left to right on it.

Could some one let me know exactly where this is to be fitted drive or non drive side and between frame and bb or crank arm and bb????
2015 Specialized S-Works Tarmac - Ultegra Di2 (7.0kg)
Kinesis Aithein - Ultegra mechanical (7.3kg)
Kinesis Maxlight Xc130 - xt/ xtr (11.3kg)

spin to win!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Read the info on Parktools? Or the info that comes in the manual?

How man spacers depends on the width of your BB. And if it is a Shimano HT2 crankset OT some other make of external bearing cranks. Also the use of any BB mount mech or device effects things as well.

More info needed or read the manual.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • paulc33
    paulc33 Posts: 254
    I don't have a manual hence trying the forum for help from people who have maybe fitted these.

Think it's hollowtech 1 and I have a band on front mech.
    2015 Specialized S-Works Tarmac - Ultegra Di2 (7.0kg)
    Kinesis Aithein - Ultegra mechanical (7.3kg)
    Kinesis Maxlight Xc130 - xt/ xtr (11.3kg)

spin to win!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well HT 1 does not use any spacers.

manuals are available on Shimanos webby. and parktools covers everything.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As Nick says, HT or HT2?

What width is your BB shell? If it is 68mm you need 3 spacers, 73mm requires 1. (HT2)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.