liamcrawfy
liamcrawfy Posts: 4
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Just bought my first road bike. A Boardman Team Carbon.
I don't know a whole lot about bikes, especially road bikes.
Have been told from a friend who is a keen cyclist that its a good bike, especially to start with.

Main reason for getting the bike is to keep fit, as I currently race Karts (Rotax Max for any of you who know anything about karts), which is quite physical. So currently the bike will be for leisurely purposes, however, would potentially look to participate in "rides" and possibly some events I see around my area (Surrey)

I have a few questions:

- Thoughts on the bike? Anything on the bike a "weakness" & I would look to change in time?
- After some clothing, padded shorts etc. I have no clue on what brands to look at/avoid. Mainly looked at Adidas (Because of pro golf background) and am very loyal to the brand as I think they make good products. But noticed not widely available as other brands such as Altura for e.g

Sorry for the long windedness, but look forward to hearing your comments guidance & using this forum!

Cheers, Liam

Comments

• simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    If you're looking for cycling clothing then the DHB line of clothing at Wiggle wont let you down. The quality is up there with the top end brands but at very reasonable prices. The size guides on the site are quite realistic too.
  • the playing mantis
    the playing mantis Posts: 2,129
    edited July 2013
    adidas seems to get a poor rep for cycling stuff, from the few comments i have seen on here...best stick to a dedicated cycling manufacturer imo. go to th evarious online sites and find something in your price bracket then do a search on here for the product in questions, its likely its been reveiewed or someone has asked the same question before so you will find out if people rate the item in question.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    liamcrawfy wrote:
    Just bought my first road bike. A Boardman Team Carbon.
    I don't know a whole lot about bikes, especially road bikes.
    Have been told from a friend who is a keen cyclist that its a good bike, especially to start with.

They are right! Light carbon frame with a good 105 Shimano groupset. Most people start out with a bike a lot worse.
    Main reason for getting the bike is to keep fit, as I currently race Karts (Rotax Max for any of you who know anything about karts), which is quite physical.

Excellent! Karting is hard from the little I've done, more about brute strength than fitness, although that plays a part.
    So currently the bike will be for leisurely purposes,

HAHA, get on Strava, this will change quickly.
    however, would potentially look to participate in "rides" and possibly some events I see around my area (Surrey)

Look into Evans Cycles or Wiggle for some sportives in your area. Surrey is a bit of a hot spot for them.
    - Thoughts on the bike? Anything on the bike a "weakness" & I would look to change in time?

Honestly, no. That bike is excellent, lightweight and good specification and I can't see any particular weaknesses which would benefit from an economic upgrade, apart from obviously putting on some SPD or SPD-SL pedals, which are a must for a road bike anyway.
    - After some clothing, padded shorts etc. I have no clue on what brands to look at/avoid. Mainly looked at Adidas (Because of pro golf background) and am very loyal to the brand as I think they make good products. But noticed not widely available as other brands such as Altura for e.g

Adidas isn't a cycling brand. Altura is good, I have their jerseys and they fit well.

But apart from getting your pedals sorted you have nice a bike, ride it a lot!
  • stinger53
    stinger53 Posts: 135
    it will only make a good bike if you like it ;) and its comfortable for you to ride.
    but it looks nice and has a good group set on it. should make a very nice first bike.
    hope you enjoy it :D
    If you're looking for cycling clothing then the DHB line of clothing at Wiggle wont let you down. The quality is up there with the top end brands but at very reasonable prices. The size guides on the site are quite realistic too.

+1. i have quite a bit of DHB clothing can it is great. very high quality at a low price in comparison to the competition.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    As others have said, the Boardman is a great bike. You don't need to do any upgrades, but the first thing to wear out and need upgrading will be the tyres - Continental GP4000S get a good rep on here.

Have you bought road bike specific shoes (very stiff sole) and clip-in (also called clipless) pedals?

Bike fit is critical, lots of things on your bike are adjustable to make you comfortable as you ride for longer.

A small aero saddle bag with 2 spare inner tubes, a pump or CO2 cartridges, tyre levers, a multi-tool and a quick chain link is essential on every ride.

Have you bought bottle cages and biddons to carry fluid? Orange juice (40%) mixed with water (60%) with a pinch of salt is good, or you can buy plenty of hydration products.

Useful web sites:
    http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk - their own brand DHB kit is good stuff
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/
    http://www.strava.com - you will need a GPS device like a smart phone or bike computer
    http://www.bikefit.com/s-13-road-bikes.aspx

Get to know the people in your local bike shop, they can be a great source of help.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    As a newbie I would recommend you get a few pairs of inexpensive decathlon padded shorts (not the bottom of the range ones though) and cycling jerseys, they will get you up and running without spending an excessive amount of money. By the time you upgrade you will have a better idea of what to spend your money on and how much to pay.
  • Been out on the new bike, first time on it infact.
    Very happy with the bike. My little knowledge on bikes means my opinion is next to useless, but the bike was very nice to ride. Being very light I felt every pedal covered up a lot of ground, felt very responsive and once adjusted the seat a few times actually quite comfy.

The gears (to me) sounded, and felt a bit clunky, so will be reading up how to adjust accordingly. Didnt expect it to be perfect as it was built up in Halfrauds. In fact, I found a lot of bolts and fixings loose, and some even missing (not on any structural parts, Both reflectors) so once I tightened them I felt a lot more safe!

To answer some of your questions:

*I don't currently have any bikes shoes, thats next on the google, read up, and purchase list. I have pedals, I bought some Shimano one's (unsure of what model from top of my head) but I can exchange for any you guys recommend. My only problem I may have with Clip on's, the movement of moving your ankle sideways & out keeping my ball of my foot clicked in is some what restricted due to bad hips from previous sports & generally not being very flexible.

*A small aero saddle bag is also on the shopping list for essentials. I have a multi-tool already as you never know!

*I have bought bottle cages, got the Boardman Carbon, no point getting a lightweight bike & bolting on a heavy drinks cage!

Am currently searching for clothing, did 10 miles earlier in just my normal gym kit. Padded shorts are going to feel like heaven!!

Thanks for your input and advice!
  • Update:

I bought a medium aero bag, comfortably fit a multi tool some small spares, phone and some money. Good purchase.
    Also bought a cheap rear axle/spindle stand for the garage. Again, seems like a good product.

I also bought some padded shorts, tried a few on, Adidas felt more comfortable, better sizing personally. Got home, sat on the bike and still feel uncomfortable on the saddle. Is this a sign of poor shorts, or is it just I'm still uncomfortable from yesterday's ride with unpadded shorts?
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    If you buy clothing or shoes do it at a real bike shop where you can try it on. At about 10 stone with a 32" waist even the XXL brand of some cycle clothing is too small for me! It's not something you can get the sizing right for online.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!