Bending rear Axles

JonnyG6811
JonnyG6811 Posts: 6
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello,

I'm fairly new to cycling - only been cycling about a year. I have a Claude Butler fairly basic mountain bike and ride on the road and also local bridal ways and tracks.

I've cycled about 1200 miles over the year and i've been through 5 rear axles!!!!!!! :evil: The first 2 were quick release and the following 3 have been solid cheap steel items.

As i'm sure you can imagine i'm getting a bit fed up of p155ing about with them!!!

Any suggestions on stronger/better quality axles?
As a side note i've started snapping spokes too - any suggestions on better quality spokes?

I'm taking care through pot holes, on kerbs and on the rougher bridalways.
The problem is happening because i'm a fatty so need some fat proof stuff!!!!!!!!

Any help of suggestions very much appreciated!
Jonny

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    How many gears do you have, and do you know if the cogs are a cassette or freewheel?
  • Dan_xz
    Dan_xz Posts: 130
    When you say axle it sounds like you mean the skewers? The axles are part of the wheel and hollow to allow the skewers through. It should be the axles, not the skewers that are in contact with the frame and taking the most weight. The skewers are just there to clamp the wheel to the frame and so deal more with side load - could be pressure from the frame flexing that is breaking them. If the frame has canti mounts you could try fitting a stiffening plate, aka brake booster, to try and stop some of the flex. Otherwise just need to spend more on tougher components: cheap steel = weak steel.
    Rather than stronger spokes replacing the whole wheel would be better, something of good quality with 36 spokes on the rear.

I don't know how much spare cash you have, but after a year and 1200 miles I think you can justify a new bike. Some models are built to be tough and are great for heavier guys like the Kona Hoss (I think that isn't in the line up anymore but you could find a used one or someone here will know the current equivalents)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Cheap rear axle is your problem, they are made of cheese....however if spokes are starting to go I'd suggest getting a better quality rear wheel fom fleabay/classifieds and being done with it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for the replies guys!

It has 21 gears. It is a freewheel. Yes i do mean the skewer through the middle of the hub (the strip of steel covered in grease and secure by a couple of 17mm bolts on either side).

I have been considering a new wheel. I currently have a 32 spoke, double rimmed wheel. Would 36 spokes (as opposed to 40) make much difference? I have been considering a tandem wheel/axle - what do you's think? What are better quality spokes to be getting? I've heard something about swiss spokes, like these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=91858

I saw this axle on chain reaction - do you's think it'll be that much stronger? http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=19862

Thanks very much for all your help guys!!!

Jonny

p.s. budget wise, i'm happy to spend a bit of money on things like axles, wheels etc as i can transfer them on to a new bike - probably at the end of this season in the sales! I'm not interested in lightening the bike as it's a pointless exercise with my weight, just strength and quality items. J
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    JonnyG6811 wrote:
    Thanks for the replies guys!

It has 21 gears. It is a freewheel. Yes i do mean the skewer through the middle of the hub (the strip of steel covered in grease and secure by a couple of 17mm bolts on either side).
    a skewer does not have nuts on the end.

that axel is for that hub, not yours.

first ID what you have read up on it and see how it comes apart. then go to the LBS for a suitable part and fit it.

changing spokes over requires a wheel rebuild. and it is often cheaper just to buy a new wheel.

wheels come with a number of different width hubs so measure your current hubs. O.L.D. see parktools and sheldon Bs pages for what that is.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown