Gear issues, help needed!

matthewalden
matthewalden Posts: 6
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Hi,

So im reasonably new to road cycling, and purchased a nice peugeot bike second had from a dealer.

Unfortunately, there is a small problem that i can't seem to resolve.

The front derailleur moves more than 3 stops (I have a 3 ring crank set).

Is the derailleur not right for my setup?

Setup:

Shifters: Campagnolo Avanti
Brakes (front and rear): Campagnolo Avanti
Crankset: Campagnolo Mirage 30/40/50
Front Derailleur: Campagnolo Veloce
Rear Derailleur: Shimano TIagra
Cassette: 8 Speed 25-11

Im hoping i can change one part at a reasonable price that will resolve the issue.

Hope someone can help!

Thanks

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Have a look at the front mech and identify the 2 limit screws that restrict shifting, and turn either of those a quarter of a turn at a time each time giving it a little spin to see what effect it's had. Continue until happy. Or take it back to the shop and ask why it doesn't work properly, this bike he was happy to sell you.
  • paulorg
    paulorg Posts: 168
    Hi Matthew, what CiB said especially regarding the bit about taking it back to the shop. Having said that when you say it shifts more than 3 stops do you mean you can click the shifter 4 times or that the derailleur itself shifts to a 4th position? If it's the derailleur then go to youtube and watch some front derailleur videos specifically with limit screw adjustments. This may be a stupid question but is the shimano mech definately the rear one? I only ask because I was under the impression that you cant mix Shimano mechs and Campag shifters as the pull ratios are different. If the front mech was shimano then that would be the cause of your problem.
    If you buy it, they will come...

...up to you and say, you didn't want to buy one of them!!!