advice please

sapperk
sapperk Posts: 17
edited July 2013 in MTB general
Last year I bought a cube acid 26er. I have done hundreds of miles on it since then and would now like a full susser
My problem

Im on an extremely tight budget (<100)

What I was thinking of doing id buying just the frame and rear shock.

I suppose what im asking is any advice on what frame? How much am I looking at? Im 6, 2" what size frame etc

Any suggestions??????

Thanks guys

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Less than a hundred quid for a full suss frame? Sorry mate.

I did sell a spesh stumpjumper fsr for £125 but that's cos I needed the cash. Maybe you could find a bargain like that.

As for size, why would it be different from your hardtail?
  • sapperk
    sapperk Posts: 17
    Do you reckon then.... I strip my bike right down and sell the frameand increase my budget?
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Yeah that'd make sense. That's what I did but the other way around. Sold my full suss frame to pay for a hardtail lol
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You're not going to get much for a used Cube frame.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • pete_s
    pete_s Posts: 213
    Are you absolutely sure you need to spend money on a FS, and not make some good investments in to better components on the bike you have instead?

I've built a few bikes and I can't say that it's saved me any money. In fact in some cases I could've got considerably more for my money if I'd have bought a stock bike.

There are bargains to be had for a FS frame. Not too long ago I saw a Santa Cruz Heckler frame on eBay for £100. It was pretty old (from about 1999) but was in good condition and is bomb proof. Pretty gutted that I'd been fannying around thinking about buying it before someone else did.

There was also a guy on here selling a Santa Cruz Blur frame for £300, and I've seen a couple more on Pinkbike for about the same price. Maybe look at getting a good hardtail frame instead of splashing out on a FS one. Cotic, Charge, Ragley all do frames for around the £300-£400 mark.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You may luck into a reasonable FS frame you can then reframe with bits off the cube, expect maybe £30-35 back on the cube frame, and budget an extra £20-30 for bits that may not swap (seatpost and clamp, front mech, headset and so on), first what makes you think an FS is what you should do?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    I will be selling my Spesh FS frame in a couple of weeks. I would prob sell it for £100, but that would be without a shock (you can have that too, but i would want more for the two combined)

Mail me if you are interested. The frame is featured in the "Bouncy" link in my sig.