Specialized sworks shoes

spasypaddy
spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
edited July 2013 in Commuting chat
So i have a pair of these and the heel lug (the bit on the heel that you 'walk' on) has come off. I've not even had them a month yet.

What would you do?

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Depends how/why it's come off. If they're the same as my S-Works shoes, that part is designed to be replaceable, it's held on with a couple of screws (underneath the insole).

If it's just come unscrewed, try screwing it back in again. If the failure is in the heel part, get the retailer to ask Specialized for a replacement heel part (or maybe contact them directly), if the screw's pulled through the sole, it's time to send the shoes back (though it would be an easy fix if the shoes were older).
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • spasypaddy
    IMG_20130718_183215_zpsbd85a819.jpg
    top are some 6month old bont vaypours, minimal damage
    next 2 year old sidi ergo 2, minimal damage, heel worn
    next 4 year old sworks, little damage to the sole but ive been hit by multiple cars wearing them
    bottom 3 week old sworks, now im my opinion its just not good enough.
  • tgotb
    So has the screw failed/come undone, or had the heel piece come apart? If the latter, I'm sure Specialized will send you a replacement if you ask nicely...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • spasypaddy
    come apart

but look at those scratches. thats quite poor for a 3 week old shoe
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    spasypaddy wrote:
    come apart

Depends if you're crap at clipping in or not?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • tgotb
    spasypaddy wrote:
    come apart
    In that case, get onto Specialized, I'm sure they'll give you a replacement heel piece for free...
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Surely that's just a factor of how much you've scratched it? Bottom line is that these shoes are designed for cycling, not walking around in, and top of the range kit is lightweight and therefore not as robust as the mass-market stuff; it's not like it's a cyclocross shoe.

I agree that the heel piece shouldn't fall off (and I'm sure you'll get a replacement) but you can't really complain about it getting scratched when you're off the bike; a pair of shoes probably gets as many clip-ins and as much time on the ground in a couple of days' commuting as in an entire commute...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • spasypaddy
    dont miss my clip ins. very very rarely. and when you compare it to the other shoes up there that cost the same if not more then its really a poor finish. and i dont walk around in them. its just a shame that they've scratched so badly so quickly.

ive emailed them this evening.