New build, but bike too small? Advice please!

2»

Comments

• TOM14S
    TOM14S Posts: 100
    Jim C wrote:
    Long legs wont be a problem. Buy a loooooonnnnng seatpin.

Sigh, the issue with long legs isn't getting a long seat post. It'll mean there's a bigger drop between bars and seat.which beginners and some experienced riders can find uncomfy.
    Top tube length is the easy, just buy a longer syem.
    Point proved.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Saddle to BB height is an issue. Buying a long stem will not help that.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • solosuperia
    solosuperia Posts: 333
    I have always been of the opinion that you should use the smallest frame you can get away with.
    Still be comfortable etc etc..........

If you look at the pros and see their position on the bike is probably the best clue, then relate it to what your projected position is going to be.
  • will_85
    will_85 Posts: 84
    Cheers for the input, looking at it compared to my current bike & looking at the measurements, I think I'll be best off selling it on.... Would obviously cost a fair bit to build & I don't see it being an ideal fit. Can't complain for £50, was worth the punt. Sat on a Large in Halfords & it felt V.Comfortable.... Seen they have the Ltd Carbon team @ £899.99 online, looks amazing value! Über tempting.....
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    TOM14S wrote:
    Jim C wrote:
    Long legs wont be a problem. Buy a loooooonnnnng seatpin.

Sigh, the issue with long legs isn't getting a long seat post. It'll mean there's a bigger drop between bars and seat.which beginners and some experienced riders can find uncomfy.
    Top tube length is the easy, just buy a longer syem.
    Point proved.

Trouble with long legs is you end up struggling with head tube height. If the OP is short legged, then he might get away with it a bit more.

The other trouble is buying any geometry frame unless you know what geometry does fit you. Ultimately, there's only a few significant dimensions but you need to know what they are in the first place. I'd imagine if the OP is happy with the fit of his existing frame, it ought to be fairly straightforward to work out what needs to be done (unless frame angles are different but you can sort that with a 50p plastic protractor if you don't like trigonometry!)
    Faster than a tent.......
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Unless you have very specific component requirements or a good source of cheap parts a self build is not usually financially viable. You just don't have the buying power of the manufacturers. Usually best to get a bike that suits you and upgrade parts as they wear out.
  • dnwhite88
    dnwhite88 Posts: 285
    If you're new to biking, you might as well learn on a frame that fits. I know it's not the answer you were hoping for but it's good advice you are getting from the majority.
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"