bike "taxi's"

welshkev
welshkev Posts: 9,690
edited August 2013 in MTB general
hi guys,

would any of you be interested/use if they were available "bike taxi's" (for want of a better phrase) someone that picks you and your mates up from the train station or specific destination with your bikes and shuttles you around to specific riding destinations and you can just chill out. Maybe good for stag do's or birthdays?

just an idea, tell me if it's a stupid one :lol:

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    done in Europe for a while. but more for the summer ski centers bike centers. pick up from airport by Mini bus with trailer taken to check in. done.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Yeah I think it's a good idea.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,027
    welshkev wrote:
    hi guys,

would any of you be interested/use if they were available "bike taxi's" (for want of a better phrase) someone that picks you and your mates up from the train station or specific destination with your bikes and shuttles you around to specific riding destinations and you can just chill out. Maybe good for stag do's or birthdays?

just an idea, tell me if it's a stupid one :lol:

A good idea but you'll have a very limited market.

As Nick says in high traffic areas it isn't a bad thing but I'm not too sure in the UK.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Woodmonkey
    Woodmonkey Posts: 412
    Sounds like a pretty good idea to someone coming from the flatlands who has to travel to find good riding. Be a bonus if you can lead rides too, nothing worse than going somewhere to find out you've ridden straight past all the best bits. Link up with some bike friendly accomodation and put a package together. The whole thing seems to work for mudtrek
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • welshkev
    Woodmonkey wrote:
    Sounds like a pretty good idea to someone coming from the flatlands who has to travel to find good riding. Be a bonus if you can lead rides too, nothing worse than going somewhere to find out you've ridden straight past all the best bits. Link up with some bike friendly accomodation and put a package together. The whole thing seems to work for mudtrek

yeah, there's a vision in place. I've been looking at property myself. there's loads of old pubs around to buy, some with exisiting letting accomodation 8)
  • fyldesmurf
    fyldesmurf Posts: 412
    I like it, it's good for young people who can't drive etc as well, if it's not too expensive
  • wmorgs
    wmorgs Posts: 113
    http://www.pjchomes.co.uk/ipm/propertie ... h=&recent=

Looks across to the Y Wal Climb, one of my customers places he's retiring to his place in france.

On wish list when my numbers come up :lol:
  • Woodmonkey
    Woodmonkey Posts: 412
    welshkev wrote:
    Woodmonkey wrote:

yeah, there's a vision in place. I've been looking at property myself. there's loads of old pubs around to buy, some with exisiting letting accomodation 8)

A pub! How much riding would you get done! Get a field and put some camping pods in, or build your own (I know a good chippie ;-) I've always dreamt of doing something similar in the Pyrenees
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • balmybaldwin
    balmybaldwin Posts: 127
    There appear to be plenty of these bike taxi/transfer services in Scotland and Cornwall for doing LEJOG transfers, but they are eye wateringly expensive (no really! - check. you can get a reasonable road bike for the money)

For us it worked out cheaper (by nearly £600) to hire 2 cars from inverness airport, and drive one up to John O'Groats and leave it, and then return the other car to inverness, finish our ride and drive home the next day (and that got us home, not just back to inverness!)
    Bikes:
    Cannondale Killer V 1995 (Promo model) - My first Race bike now converted to a commuter
    Lapierre X-Flow 712 - XC fs rocket
    Pivot Mach 6 - Enduro Machine
    Pinarello FP2 - Roadie
  • welshkev
    Um, I think you may be a bit misunderstood. I live in South Wales, really close to Cwmcarn, bike park Wales and not too far from FOD, Afan trail centres. I meant pick people up from the train stations or wherever and ferry them to the trail centres/b&bs or wherever. I'm not talking pick someone up from Yorkshire to drive them to coed y brenin.
  • fyldesmurf
    fyldesmurf Posts: 412
    How much would you charge for say, Cardiff railway station to CwnCarn?
  • welshkev
    fyldesmurf wrote:
    How much would you charge for say, Cardiff railway station to CwnCarn?

I guess that's still to be worked out, but Newport train station is much closer and on the same line. it'd be the stop before for most people so cheaper on the train probably.

a taxi from Newport to cwmcarn would cost about £12-£15 I reckon, so obviously i'd have to work out what was financially viable.
  • welshkev