advice required please - Grip Shift to thumb shift

dg74
dg74 Posts: 656
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Afternoon

My mates got old grip shift system on his mtb and he's asked me to swap to a thumb shift system. Bar the obvious bits - I need to know if his derailleurs will be fine with this or will he need to buy new front mech & rear derailleur?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if you buy the right bit it will be fine. If you dont it will not be.

from the info provided who knows.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Indeed, make and model of current gripshifts and we'll know what will and won't work.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dg74
    nicklouse wrote:
    if you buy the right bit it will be fine. If you dont it will not be.

from the info provided who knows.

yeah I was a bit vague.

He says it's 7 speed grip shift with Shimano derailleurs so I'd imagine a 7 speed shifter and a 3 speed for the triple up front. Looked at a couple of other sites on this swap and seem's a straight forward swap with no major problems.

Ah well, we'll give it a go and if he needs new bits he can get his hand in his pocket :D
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Yep 7spd Shimano triggers. I would also change the inner and outer cables.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dg74
    nicklouse wrote:
    Yep 7spd Shimano triggers. I would also change the inner and outer cables.

Yeah I thought so. He's already ordered the parts so I'll swap them over next week hopefully. Thanks for the input - much appreciated.