Advice for fueling and hydrytion on a long hot ride

skiffy
skiffy Posts: 84
Will be doing the South Downs on Sunday, and it's going to be HOT!

I was going to carry a bladder (1.5L) + 2 bottles (800ml each), all containing SiS Go Energy, I was under the impression this was a carb+electrolyte drink but it seems if you want electrolytes too you have to have the Go electrolyte one.

So what is the best advice, use the bladder for electrolyte and continuous hydration and bottles for carb intake? or will drinking just Go Energy be enough?

Would 1 litre per hour fluid intake be about right?

Comments

• colstar
    colstar Posts: 23
    I'm doing the ride too. I've got 2 x 750ml bottles on the bike and a 500ml soft bottle in my back pocket. My plan was to have High5 in one bottle and water in the other 2. I'll carry a couple of extra sachets too.

I've been avidly following the weather forecasts and i'm glad to see it's dipped to mid twenties!
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    skiffy wrote:
    Will be doing the South Downs on Sunday, and it's going to be HOT!

I was going to carry a bladder (1.5L) + 2 bottles (800ml each), all containing SiS Go Energy, I was under the impression this was a carb+electrolyte drink but it seems if you want electrolytes too you have to have the Go electrolyte one.

So what is the best advice, use the bladder for electrolyte and continuous hydration and bottles for carb intake? or will drinking just Go Energy be enough?

Would 1 litre per hour fluid intake be about right?

You are going over board on the electrolytes. Just take as much water as you can and drink a lot before you set off. Your diet should be that it has you more than covered. A brimmed hat and lots of sun cream 30+ will be in order as it will be 29-30C.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    Prioritise hydration and keep one bottle for a more carb based mix.

Easy homemade formular would be 100ml-200ml juice per bottle with a pinch of pink (Himalayan) salt for electrolytes as it contains all 3 salt based minerals the body needs.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • skiffy
    Perhaps plop some sort of flavourless electrolyte tab into the Sis Go Energy? Then that's carbs and salts dealt without switching bottles.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Don't overdo the salts though. Drinking too much electrolyte isn't too clever.
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    Water for the win,

OR

for the occasional treat: diluted Robinsons fruit squash (apple & blackcurrent)

No need for this rubbish electrolyte stuff, it's overpriced, over-marketed rubbish.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    No need for this rubbish electrolyte stuff, it's overpriced, over-marketed rubbish.
    There is a need for it, if you become near dehydrated.
    I believe some people need it more than others though. Some people lose a lot of salts in their sweat, and their sweat leaves salty traces on their clothes - they're far more likely to need electrolyte.

However, the fact that it's needed in such vast quantities is not only marketing guff, but also dangerous.
  • colstar
    I find the "Zero" electrolyte tablets are great for quick recovery if you've already let yourself get a bit dehydrated. Seem to work wonders for hangovers too..
  • skiffy
    colstar wrote:
    I'm doing the ride too. I've got 2 x 750ml bottles on the bike and a 500ml soft bottle in my back pocket. My plan was to have High5 in one bottle and water in the other 2. I'll carry a couple of extra sachets too.

I've been avidly following the weather forecasts and i'm glad to see it's dipped to mid twenties!

How did you get on? I bailed out at Devil's Dyke (from Winchester direction) and made for the train in Brighton. Ridiculously hot for that kind of shenanigans!

I was drinking SiS Go Electrolyte which I found too sickly drinking on it's own in the quantities required so switched to water in the bladder and Go in the bottles for a few gulps in the shady spots. Felt much better that way.
  • colstar
    I finished it a little over 12 hours with 11.5 hours actual riding time. I didn't find the heat too bad, but then I didn't have a backpack. I was probably drinking 2 bottles of water for every bottle of High5 and only had an electrolyte drink in the last ten miles.
    Epic ride!
  • skiffy
    Wow that's impressive! No doubt you smoked past me as I crawled up one of the climbs!. No back pack would have been nice actually in hindsight. Did you not eat? what about tools etc? on the bike also? I was no doubt carrying too much.
    Note to self: get some proper riding time in beforehand next time (bike time taken by children!)
  • colstar
    To be honest, I probably didn't eat enough. My wife met me at QECP, Steyning and Alfriston to replenish supplies. I had 2 bottles on the bike, a soft bottle in my jersey pocket, food and gels in the other 2 jersey pockets and then tools in a saddle bag. Pump was tied to the seatpost with a bit of old inner tube!

Once i'm going, i prefer not to stop too much. If I'm off the bike long enough for the feeling to come back in my arse, it's a lot harder to get back on!

I'm a bit of a nerd, so i "borrowed" some ziplock bags from work and divided my food into 150cal portions. Eccles cake, soreen, trail mix, flapjacks. All nice and easy to eat on the move.

I might as well have walked up some of the climbs. I was spinning in the granny ring and barely going faster than the walkers!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Sounds like a hell of a ride, how long is it?
  • skiffy
    depends a little on the exact route you take but my map has it at 95 miles. I made it to 70 before expiring!.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Wow! Plenty of respect for even making it that far!
  • colstar
    My speedo had 100.2 at the finish line. But I did do a couple of laps of QECP carpark looking for my support vehicle (who happened to be napping in a field 3 miles up the road!).