Superstar kevlar vs sintered pads

Thewaylander
Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hola peeps,

looking at pads, and just wondered if people have used one vs the other, normally a sintered guy but tempted to try the kevlar pads as at £10 sobs a go there not hugely pricy and if i can squeeze a drop or two more power for minimal cost i will :)

Comments

• ianm7222
    ianm7222 Posts: 51
    Kevlar are my default pad, they last really well, don't squeal, give good feel, and are cheap.

PS - they stop the bike too!
    I'm very responsible, whenever anything bad happens they always say I am responsible.....
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    For me they grip a bit more, and less squealy at times.
    And they are red.
    Currently using their organic which are excellent in this weather.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    If you buy 4 sets it's only 50p per set difference over sintered to Kevlar.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Didnt notice any difference to sintered apart from they dont last as long in normal summer weather. I just fit and forget sintered all year round, sintered are so much better than they were a few years back they used to be horrible in dry weather and chew up your discs but they are almost as good as organics now.

Saying all that they are red so will make you go at least 10% faster.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Forget superstar and get überbike race matrix pads for 8.99 each if they come in your fitment.
  • cooldad
    Do they come with Haribo?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Probably not. If you've not ridden a bike in 10 years how could you personally vouch for their quality ang longevity?
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    I had Kevlar pads in my Juicy 7s before my XTs. They were very powerful providing a good fell and pretty good life, but the second set I installed got absolutely destroyed on a torrential rain ride at Cwmcarn at only 2 months old. See Below!

IMG_1075.jpg

I don't think any pads would have lasted that day but they did very well until it was metal on metal! I have Kevlars ready to replace the 8 month old Sintereds in my XTs. They have done extremely well for original pads, and I don't want to lose the Fins so I'm making them last as long as possible!

I would say that Kevlar is my go-to pad material simply because of the power.
  • Looks to me like you use your brakes too much :wink:

Got kevlar on the DH bike and now on the xc bike, when they get hot they dont fade as badly as sintered. But they do wear a bit quicker.
  • poah
    Probably not. If you've not ridden a bike in 10 years how could you personally vouch for their quality ang longevity?

I can for the last wee while though and I suspect they will last longer than Kevlar pads. they work better than sintered ones I had before
  • cooldad
    POAH wrote:

I can for the last wee while though and I suspect they will last longer than Kevlar pads. they work better than sintered ones I had before
    OK
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    oxocube1 wrote:
    IMG_1075.jpg
    Not helped by being poorly setup or defective judging by the uneven wear........
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • poah
    cooldad wrote:
    POAH wrote:

OK

but of blind faith in the marketing - Kevlar pads last longer than standard resin/organic pads but not as long as sintered.

they say

Offers increased durability over our semi metallic and Kevlar pads.
  • cooldad
    I have used all three types of SS pads, in varying weather, over different terrain, over a period of a few years, in three different types of brake. Plus various other pads, including OEM and Ashima.
    As have a lot of people I ride with.
    So I have a fair idea, from personal experience, of their respective strengths and weaknesses.
    The only ‘marketing’ that comes into it is the free Haribo. Yum.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Woodmonkey
    Woodmonkey Posts: 412
    I have sintered on the back and Kevlar on the front
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • MrM
    MrM Posts: 60
    Sintered because I don't want to waste my life buying & changing pads
  • dhooper7
    dhooper7 Posts: 156
    oxocube1 wrote:
    I had Kevlar pads in my Juicy 7s before my XTs. They were very powerful providing a good fell and pretty good life, but the second set I installed got absolutely destroyed on a torrential rain ride at Cwmcarn at only 2 months old. See Below!

IMG_1075.jpg

I don't think any pads would have lasted that day but they did very well until it was metal on metal! I have Kevlars ready to replace the 8 month old Sintereds in my XTs. They have done extremely well for original pads, and I don't want to lose the Fins so I'm making them last as long as possible!

I would say that Kevlar is my go-to pad material simply because of the power.

Cwmcarn is a brake pad killer (I ride there most weekends), loads of sand in the trail.
    Not a fan of SS Sintered pads but wouldn't ride anything else at Cwmcarn in the wet, you can wave goodbye to brand new pair of organics in 90 minutes round there.
    2011 Specialized Enduro Comp
    2014 Boardman Hybrid Comp
  • Zziplex
    Zziplex Posts: 190
    ianm7222 wrote:
    Kevlar are my default pad, they last really well, don't squeal, give good feel, and are cheap.

PS - they stop the bike too!

Same here (assuming red is kevlar), way better than my stock XT pads.
    Guinness for strength
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    i want to try some of these on my bike and a silly question does 1 pack come with 4 pads for both brakes ?

I dont want to have to order the 4 packs and find i dont get on with them etc.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Each pack contains 2 x pads enough for one brake.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cooldad
    No, one pack is one brake.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • dhooper7
    dhooper7 Posts: 156
    swod1 wrote:
    i want to try some of these on my bike and a silly question does 1 pack come with 4 pads for both brakes ?

1 pack for one set of calipers
    2011 Specialized Enduro Comp
    2014 Boardman Hybrid Comp
  • The Rookie
    No one pack for 1 calliper, 2 packs for one set (pair) of callipers.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    thanks i thought it was the case, thats probably why they do a little discount on 4 packs so we have 2 packs for emergency use etc.

while we are talking about superstar pads, what are the rotors like ?

I'm looking at buying a 180mm disc for the front of my bike at the same time.
  • Chunkers1980
    Cheap do the job.
  • The Rookie
    Superstar= reasonable quality at very good prices (as a rule of thumb), pads, pedals, stems, bars, wheels etc etc
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    swod1 wrote:

as others have said, one pack per end. however iirc they do a 45 day gaurentee, ie if you don't like them within 45 days of use, send them bacik and they'll refunnd you.

personally i don't like them and swear by ebc gold, but plenty of people olove them and they are cheap