What happened here then?

reformedfatty
reformedfatty Posts: 543
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Riding my carrera fury down the first wooded section towards the quarry at ashton court - 3x9. Pedalpedalpedal chain jams.. backpedal, try again, backpedal, shift gears, try again.. kerrunch .. roll the dip and come to a stop

Aftermath :
Chain snapped at the powerlink. Powerlink nowhere to be seen
Chain jammed between cogs on the front
2 twisted links
Remains of 1 chainring tooth in chain.

Chainring bolts slightly loose but not drastically so.

Time for a new chain at least.. presumably I can get away with a chainring short half a tooth?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Riding my carrera fury down the first wooded section towards the quarry at ashton court - 3x9. Pedalpedalpedal chain jams.. backpedal, try again, backpedal, shift gears, try again.. kerrunch .. roll the dip and come to a stop

Aftermath :
    Chain snapped at the powerlink. Powerlink nowhere to be seen
    Chain jammed between cogs on the front
    2 twisted links
    Remains of 1 chainring tooth in chain.

Chainring bolts slightly loose but not drastically so.

Time for a new chain at least.. presumably I can get away with a chainring short half a tooth?
    poor gears set up is as much as can be said without being there or seeing it.

check hanger and basic set up.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    poor gears set up is as much as can be said without being there or seeing it.
    check hanger and basic set up.

Pretty much the same as my view (yes it was me who set up the gears). The indexing and cable tension were fine, I'll conceed the chain was not well oiled, I just didn't expect quite so much drama from that.

That alfine equipped pipedream sirius is looking tempting again right now!
  • cyd190468 wrote:
    For future reference, if your chain jams maybe you should stop and find out why the first time. Generally if something feels a bit odd when pedalling it's because there's something wrong. A five minute stop and look can save you much expense.

yep :) one new chain and set up the mechs from scratch again. Good to go.