tyres .......again!

coulddobetter
coulddobetter Posts: 812
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
A few hairy moments tonight. Boardman pro carbon ht continental mountain king 2.2 wire bead both ends.rear by far the worst spining out on hills (loose dusty wooded singletrack) 3 times totall loss of control on rooted downhill , not by any means dramatic or too tecnichal.front on a sid 2012 120mm behaves better.experimented with presures with no joy.

Rims mavic frame has clearance for larger rubber.not tubeless compatible though I am pretty fed up also with how easily these things allow puntures from brambles.

Currently in walton on Thames surrey and as my 50 year old body gets fitter would like to try surrey hills and perhaps swinley .playing at moment in and around Esher common.dry dusty to learn or relearn skills

Appreciate more money needed for better quality continental with black chili are one I have tought of , any recommendations from people riding in the area

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    OE conti's are renowned for being shite and made of hard plastic, almost anything is better!
    Panracer Fire XC Pro are a good all round tyre, roll fairly well and work pretty well on all surfaces though excel on none, not familiar enough with your area to make a more decisive suggestion, style of riding is of course a factor (grip versus rolling resistance) as well.

Most tyres will puncture over brambles, avoid the brambles or go tubeless or use decent quality slime filled tubes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks. Mavic rims I have won't go tubeless.will keep watching the thread and feedback once decided.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Any rim will go tubeless using a kit/ghetto conversion.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.