Punctures all the time

Bigbreak147
Bigbreak147 Posts: 17
edited July 2013 in MTB general
Hi guys

As you can see - I'm a new guy on here so go easy !

The last couple of times I have been out on the bike I have got a puncture. Most recently was tonight's ride but I was on the road going down hill. I don't tend to ride in the gutter either

Just to put you all in the picture, I have recently brought a carerra volcan and I have the original tyres on the bike and inner tubes. I changed the tyres once to road tyres as I done the London to Brighton but I have changed them back now as I like to go into the forest and off road a bit. I have pumped up the tyres to just under 50psi as I like to ride with them hard.

Am I missing something here or am I just unlucky? I am a heavy guy but I don't think that will have anything to do with it!?

Do you guys think a change of tyres and a better inner tube would be better? If so, what would you recommend?

Cheers in advance.

Nick

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Your stock tyres are probably a bit pants. Trouble is generally the lighter to go the less puncture protection you have.
  • Thanks for that mate so I need to go on a diet then!! Lol
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited July 2013
    Not sure what heavy is in actual weight, but 50 psi seems very hard. I am heavyish - 90kg or so, and run between 25 and 30 psi.
    Softer tyres tend to fold over things and may get fewer punctures, unless they're so soft they pinch flat. Think of a balloon - if it's blown up hard it's easy to pop, deflated a bit it has some give.
    Not true that lighter tyres puncture easier neither, depends on the tyres. Most decent tyres brands have some sort of puncture protection - Maxxis for example call it Silkworm, I use Ignitors, around 500g +/- and haven't had a puncture for years.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sparky543
    sparky543 Posts: 54
    Try a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Plus. They're a bit on the heavy side, but puncture protection is very good. They come in road or MTB flavour too. I have a pair and recently pulled a drawing pin out of my front. And then carried on riding.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    But they do weigh a ton and are pretty hopeless offroad....

50Psi is HARD for on road!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks guys for all your help. I think a new set of tyres will help and maybe lower the psi a bit.

Fingers crossed!
  • steviecfb
    steviecfb Posts: 31
    Another vote for Marathon+

They're heavy, but that means you're having to work harder, so it's better for you

At least, that's what I tell myself
  • I take it you lads are talking about these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Schwalbe-Mara ... 53f8d97431
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    1.15kg - crazy. I have full on 2.5 DH tyres lying around that weigh less than that.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    Do you know what's causuing the punctures? Is there anything inside the tyre that could cause it. If you have a thorn from a previous puncture, it's quite easy to leave some of it in the tyre. Take the tyre off and run your fingers inside to check.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    If you're not too bothered about weight some DH tubes might sort out the problem too!
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    Do you know what's causuing the punctures? Is there anything inside the tyre that could cause it. If you have a thorn from a previous puncture, it's quite easy to leave some of it in the tyre. Take the tyre off and run your fingers inside to check.
    This, but also check the rim for rough spots, burrs and damaged/displaced/poor quality rim tape.

The pressure thing is personal to you. I run at pressures that most contributers to this forum would consider too high, but I know from experience that much lower and the chance of a pinch flat is just too great. Of course I am 100+kg...
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • kalioon
    kalioon Posts: 59
    Your pumping them too hard. 50 psi is far, far too hard. Drop down to 40 at the very most, maybe 35. You'll need to push a bit harder, but you will get a lot less punctures.
  • capoz77
    capoz77 Posts: 503
    Continental Vertical Pro

These win tons of awards, 2.3" but feel more like 2.1" when rolling for speed, not had a puncture in 2 years *touch wood* weigh a paltry 730 grams!

I also run with them at 28 psi! my ride is comfier and goes with the flow of the trail at this PSI.

are http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle ... ical.shtml
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Slime or Slime inner tubes if your Presta http://www.slime.com/shop/tube-sealant/

I am also about 100Kg and I run 35 psi rear 32psi front and get a pinch flat about 3 or 4 times a year. I started a ride at about 50 psi recently because I pumped them up at the garage meaning to drop the pressure after we had done the initial 5 miles of tarmac. I forgot and did the first 5 miles offroad at 50 the bike was bouncing about the front kept sliding about, didnt have a guage so just let them down using the thumb test. What a difference a different bike.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    1. check the tyre thoroughly to make sure there are no tiny thorns or flints poking through, holing the tube in the same place each time.
    2. check your rim tap is properly covering the rim and protecting the tube from the metal or holes in the rim.
    3. check that you don't have crap tubes, blow them up a bit outside the tyre and look to see if the rubber has micro cuts in it.

I agree that 50psi is hard, there is a sweet spot between rolling resistance and allowing the tyre to deform over small obstacles. At 50psi I imagine the ride is quite bumpy.
  • Thanks guys for all your help. Much appreciated.