Club Run...?

Neil_aky
Neil_aky Posts: 211
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
OK, I know this has been asked before but am hoping for a more definite answer...

How will I know if I am fit enough / fast enough to have a go at a club run?

I know this question is like asking how long is a piece of string but if there any newbies out there who've taken the plunge, I'd love to know what you manage on your own 'v' keeping up in a group.

Also anyone using Cycling Weekly's RiTMO rating - could this give me an idea if I'd cope?

I average 15-16 mph on my regular 20mile run - a bit slower on a 30 mile run.

RiTMO rating - 15.2

Thanks

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    I guess it depends on the club run really. By the sounds of it, you would struggle on an 80 mile club run at 18mph average, but be fine on a 30 mile club run at 16 or 17mph. Its a how long is a piece of string question without knowing what the club ride you are considering is like
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    Neil_aky wrote:
    Unless the club specifies a route and a maximum acceptable time for that route, there's no possible definitive answer until you go and try the club run and find out.

Just do it. The worst that can happen is that you get dropped and have to find your own way home. Then you'll know you have to find another club that's slower, or get fitter before you try them again.

None of this is rocket science.

FWIW, I went on a club run with the Kingston Wheelers some months ago - their web site specifies a route and a time, and I was a bit under the time, so I gave the club run a go. I had no trouble keeping up, although I was chicken drafting close above about 12 mph.

I'd suggest you stop agonising about whether you're a strong enough rider and just go and find out for sure.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Neil_aky wrote:

Also anyone using Cycling Weekly's RiTMO rating - could this give me an idea if I'd cope?

I think you are over analysing things.

The only way you will know is to turn up at one and give it a try. Any decent club will explain what's what and make sure you are looked after.

People turn up all the time and worry about this and that. Sure some rides are tough and you may struggle but this is how you improve.

If the club has different levels of ride start on the easiest and work from there.

If you go along and introduce yourself and explain they will know what is required too. Part of being in a club is bringing people on. A club grows from looking after people.

Go for it.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Neil_aky
    Thanks, I guess everyone is telling me what I already know - just need to pluck up the courage to take the plunge!

Any views on the RiTMO score - it sounds like a good idea...
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Neil_aky wrote:
    Any views on the RiTMO score - it sounds like a good idea...

Not actually heard of it but it seems to tick all the boxes for those who look to impress folk :mrgreen:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Neil_aky
    Actually Strava is much better for impressing people :wink: , it looks good for measuring personal progress. Cycling Weekly have been pushing it hard so thought there would have been more chat here about it...

http://www.cyclingweekly.cc/ritmo/faq
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Just do it, email ahead or see what their website says if worried...

.. maybe don't mention the ritmo handicap thing, who says cycling is the new golf ;)
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Just do it, you'll be glad you did. Being in a group makes it so much easier, you'll actually be shocked at the difference being on someone's wheel makes. The only time you may struggle is if its hilly and you can't quite cope, but slower groups usually have lots of those riders and any decent club won't leave you behind. If you do struggle on the hills, then look for when they do their flat ride and join that first.
  • Neil_aky
    OK just checked my local cycling club's website and they have FAQs page which answers my questions especially:

"Q: How fit do I need to be?
    A: If you can manage 30 miles on your own without stopping at around 14mph, with a bit of shelter in the group you should be fine; &, in any case, we will help & encourage you."

Sounds friendly, I'll give it a go!
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Sounds really friendly - I might join a club myself. Check if they have a cafe stop too to refuel and catch your breath.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    Neil_aky wrote:
    just need to pluck up the courage to ake the plunge!
    I can think of a couple of reasons why it might take courage to try a club run for the first time.

In my case it was "will I have the skill to ride with others without causing an accident?". So to start with I just hung off the back a bit until I'd had a chance to get used to things.

The other reason is all about facing the possibility that one is actually sloooooooww and in need of much training (like me, in all reality).

I'd contend that the first reason is sound, and a little caution is warranted.

If it's the second, then you need to get over yourself and reflect on Rule 5. :D
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Alexvs
    Alexvs Posts: 52
    Going by my last 2 weeks trialing different clubs I can try give some newbie advice :)

My best rides have been in the 16's over a solo 40 miles and can generally ride a flat between 20 - 22mph, so I went out and in the second club which was the best of the 2 we were riding in a group of 9 at 25 - 27mph on flats and averaged 17.5mph over 45 miles. The advantage of group riding is far bigger than I ever expected and with people encouraging you makes for a much more enjoyable and better overall ride. I'll be sticking with this club and can see it really helping improve my riding.

Go for it, you won't regret it :D
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    i emailed pretty much all my local clubs and told them roughly my ability and they all replied with various answers. if its a more social club then you should be fine, if its a very race focused club then possibly not, but getting in touch is best way to start. you could search some of the clubs on strava too and look at what they have been doing.
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • Neil_aky
    Thanks for the replies - especially the last few - that's what I was looking for, some other newbie's views who are in a similar position.