Peraud

joelsim
joelsim Posts: 7,552
edited July 2013 in Pro race
What a legend.

Puts many a sport 'superstar' to shame. Yes I'm looking at you, footballers.

May his injuries clear up rapidly and with the least amount of pain possible.

Chapeau to you mon ami.

Comments

• DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    Thanks for making this thread. Needless to say I agree 100%. Bon Courage jicé.
  • Ride hard
    Ride hard Posts: 389
    I disclocated my collarbone a few months back after a major high speed wipeout, and I was off the bike for 6 weeks 1) due to the extreme pain and 2) for it to heal. So how the hell people like Peraud (broken collarbone) and Thomas (fractured pelvis) etc continue to ride hard in races for hundreds/thousands of miles is beyond me.

I take my hat off to everyone one them.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,171
    Haven't we already had the 'brave little cyclist' v 'overpaid, cissy footballer' debate at least once already this Tour and concluded there's a big difference between having an injury in a sport where you sit pretty still and one where you are bearing all your weight and taking contact from others? I'm not saying I'm not equally in awe of those who battle through injury but it is no different to many jockeys (they won't even seek treatment half the time in case the doctor reports them and they are stopped from riding). However, the comparison with footballers gets annoying and I say that as someone with a dislike of top level football.
  • DeadCalm
    Pross wrote:
    Haven't we already had the 'brave little cyclist' v 'overpaid, cissy footballer' debate at least once already this Tour and concluded there's a big difference between having an injury in a sport where you sit pretty still and one where you are bearing all your weight and taking contact from others? I'm not saying I'm not equally in awe of those who battle through injury but it is no different to many jockeys (they won't even seek treatment half the time in case the doctor reports them and they are stopped from riding). However, the comparison with footballers gets annoying and I say that as someone with a dislike of top level football.
    Couldn't give a toss about the football comparison to be honest but I'm not sure it is entirely reasonable to describe what Peraud was doing as sitting pretty still. Have you ever had a high speed crash and then tried to cycle on afterwards? Trust me, it is miserable. Cycling may not generally be a contact sport but it does require serious physical effort to put in the kind of performance that Peraud was producing despite being in obvious pain not to mention incredible bravery to tackle a descent at high speed having crashed and hurt himself so badly on the same road earlier that day.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Joelsim wrote:
    What a legend.

Puts many a sport 'superstar' to shame. Yes I'm looking at you, footballers.

May his injuries clear up rapidly and with the least amount of pain possible.

Chapeau to you mon ami.

+ 1
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,171
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Couldn't give a toss about the football comparison to be honest but I'm not sure it is entirely reasonable to describe what Peraud was doing as sitting pretty still. Have you ever had a high speed crash and then tried to cycle on afterwards? Trust me, it is miserable. Cycling may not generally be a contact sport but it does require serious physical effort to put in the kind of performance that Peraud was producing despite being in obvious pain not to mention incredible bravery to tackle a descent at high speed having crashed and hurt himself so badly on the same road earlier that day.

I'm not dissing Peraud, I made the point that I'm in awe of riders like him and G. It's just the way people have to compare it to people in other sports as though that has any relevance. I've ridden after a heavy crash on numerous occasions albeit not at maximum effort. I have also tried playing on in rugby after injuring a CV joint. The latter was impossible as the next tackle left me in agony. All I'm saying is praise the heroic (stupid?) effort but don't use it as an attempt to point score against other sports.
  • DeadCalm
    Pross wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I'm not dissing Peraud, I made the point that I'm in awe of riders like him and G. It's just the way people have to compare it to people in other sports as though that has any relevance. I've ridden after a heavy crash on numerous occasions albeit not at maximum effort. I have also tried playing on in rugby after injuring a CV joint. The latter was impossible as the next tackle left me in agony. All I'm saying is praise the heroic (stupid?) effort but don't use it as an attempt to point score against other sports.

OK. Fair enough. And sorry for my probable over-reaction. But as you can guess I'm a big Peraud fan and feeling a little emotional today with everything that happened.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Thought he was going to be sick and/or pass out when he came off during the TT. Can't imagine, and hope I will never find out, how painful that must have been.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I think he's more of an Idiot.. who in their right mind would take on that TT course with that weather forecast?

It was only ever going to go one way!
  • rickyrider
    rickyrider Posts: 294
    Foolhardy or not he's got a new fan here simply based on his reaction to the fall: "It's part of sport. I'm okay and it's only a broken collarbone." Got to admire that.
  • DeadCalm
    I think he's more of an Idiot.. who in their right mind would take on that TT course with that weather forecast?

It was only ever going to go one way!
    He didn’t just ride the course, either – he really threw himself into those corners as if his life depended on winning the time trial. I guess a top-ten GC finish meant an awful lot to him.

You have to admire that kind of courage, but I do wonder if it was wise to take so many risks on the descents.
    Time trials with lots of climbing are something of a speciality of his. Before the accident in the morning he would have had high expectations of a very good result on that stage, top 5 as a minimum, with the possibility of moving several places up the GC. I can understand how reluctant he was to accept that that opportunity had gone.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Pross wrote:

Haven't seen you about for a few days?

Think a good point was made in that for these cyclists this is their bread and butter and if they dont race they dont get paid so they sort of need to continue unlike footballers who can sit on the medical bench and get paid extortionate amounts.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    goonz wrote:

Think a good point was made in that for these cyclists this is their bread and butter and if they dont race they dont get paid so they sort of need to continue unlike footballers who can sit on the medical bench and get paid extortionate amounts.
    They still get paid if they don't race. Admittedly they don't have as long or secure contracts. As I've mentioned before, football has substitutes. They don't have to finish one game to play in the next. Cyclists don't finish one day races with broken bones.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • goonz
    RichN95 wrote:
    goonz wrote:

They still get paid if they don't race. Admittedly they don't have as long or secure contracts. As I've mentioned before, football has substitutes. They don't have to finish one game to play in the next. Cyclists don't finish one day races with broken bones.

Ah yes sorry thats the point I was trying to get across...very badly! 8)
  • goonz
    But back to Peraud, hat goes off to him, carrying the weight of a nation on his damaged shoulders.

Sad thing was he crashed in the TT at the corner where his family were cheering him on. That must have hurt too.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Cracking ride by all accounts.

He must be shattered.

Must feel like a broken man now.

*ahem*
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Sitting here watching it while nursing a broken collar bone myself, I admired his bravery while questioning his sanity. Even had he finished the day I cannot believe he would have managed the following three days. I'm not usually emotional but I cried when he came off again ...
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    Cracking ride by all accounts.

He must be shattered.

Must feel like a broken man now.

*ahem*

And someone said the intelligent wit was missing from the forum these days.

Do I HAVE to put a winking emoticon in here?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format