Hi and help from a semi noob

TCR4x4
TCR4x4 Posts: 38
edited July 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi guys, first post and unashamedly asking for advice, sorry about that.

Brief history, 13 odd years ago used to ride everywhere, til I passed my car test, then didnt ride for about 10 years. Had a sudden urge to start riding again after finding out running just wasnt for me, only to find my old bike that had been sat in the shed all those years, knackered, so with advice from a forum (I thought it was this one, but I can't find any old login details so obviously not) I bought a GT aggressor.

Loved it, although it was quite heavy, for the 3-4 times I rode it before my back injury flailed up and ended up needing major spinal surgery so sold it soon after.

Anyway, now I'm getting a beer belly, and really want to get in shape before I hit the big 30 next year. Running, whilst I enjoy it a lot is out of the question due to my back so I've decided to take up cycling again, spurred on by the destruction of my cars steering box last week.

I've been using an Apollo phase bike, I bought on a complete whim whilst in halfords last year. I rode it only once until Monday when I've started riding to work and back.
Now the bike is ok for the money but I feel I could do better. The front shock is pretty poor and I find the gearing a bit too low. And the saddle is as uncomfortable as farting in a lift.

I mainly want something that's suitable for both a road commute to work ( its only about 1.5 miles each way) but also suitable for canal towpaths and forest trails. Nothing extreme, but something tough enough to cope.

So the main question. Can you guys recommend me a range of second hand bikes to be looking out for on eBay etc. I don't mind older models, but I want the best components I can get for my money, which really I want to limit to £250 Ish, preferably less.

So far on my list is another gt aggressor, a voodoo hoodoo and a carrera subway

If you could chuck any more options in, I'd be grateful as its a complete minefield to me, and I don't know what's good and what's not when it comes to components. I'm about 5'7 and currently on a 20 inch frame, which I actually feel is a touch to big, my feet barely touch the floor with the saddle right down.
Sorry for the huge post, but I hope all the info is there you need.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd go for a mountain bike - the commute is short, so don't really need a road bike, plus an MTB will be far better on the trails.

£250 - look for Carrera Fury, Boardman Comp, GT Avalanche 1.0 and the Voodoo.
  • TCR4x4
    Thanks, a few more to look out for. Hopefully I can find something before the weather turns bad again
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Don't get a Spesh, they go for more money (due to the name) and are badly specced, same can be said of most the big brands, but Spesh 'espeshally'.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • TCR4x4
    Thanks for the tip. Not sure why, but even with my super limited knowledge, I've always veered away from specialized bikes. Just something about them doesn't do it for me.