MTB events in the North West

garetjax
garetjax Posts: 175
edited September 2013 in XC and Enduro
Hi all

having been seduced by the dark side these last few years (road biking) i've lost touch with what mountain bike events are held in the North and Midlands of England these days.

Here are the ones I've done/will do, but, are there any others? I'm sure there must be some events going on in The Lakes or Yorkshire but I don't see much.

1. Schwalbe MTB events held in Marshbrook, Ruthin and sometimes in Penrith, Selkirk. July -September. My favourites.
2. The Hope Valley Mountain Bike Challenge in the Peaks. September.
3. The Dyfi Enduros held in North Wales in May and October.
4. Cannock Chase Run and Ride event going on in October. Never done this one but it looks ok and just down the road.

Comments

• jonsiuk
    jonsiuk Posts: 7
    The Coed y Brenin Enduro 2013 has just opened for registration.

http://www.summitcycles.co.uk/enduro/
  • You've Missed it for this year but, put it in your diary for next. A fairly hilly 30 mile XC mostly off road.

http://www.penninex.co.uk/
  • garetjax
    garetjax Posts: 175
    great thanks

just found this one also
    http://www.whinlatterchallenge.co.uk/
  • Some local ones to me. You've missed a few for this year but, they are annually so put them in next years calendar.
    Type into Google for details etc

Caldervale MTB Challenge - Sun 13th Oct
    Halifax Sailing club MTb challenge - 2nd June
    Holme Vally MTb challenge - 8th Sept
    Overgate Hospice MTb challenge - 16th June
    Mary Townley Loop MTB challenge - 15th Sept

Would be interested in anyone out there with a similar list for the Yorkshire/Lakes area.. Thanks!
  • Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • I have entered the Sue Ryder even pt this coming weekend too, went for the Charlotte route. Any idea how tough it might be? The distance looks fine, but not knowing the area at all, I'm unsure of the surface type or severity of the climbs.
  • Not sure, we've never done it before. The Charlotte is 27miles and gets up to about 17% inclines. 1 in 5 to 6 which is quite steep. We're doing Emily, 23 miles and not as steep. Not sure what sort of surface, I guess a mixture of tarmac, gravel and bridleway.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • Those ascents sound pretty steep! The routes split at the feed station... So I might end up switching to Emily! Good luck on Sunday.
  • I'm not quite sure about that, if you look at the profile, Charlotte looks to have particularly steep bits at 4 and 13 miles, Emily looks to split almost as soon as we set off. Good luck anyway.
    Just hope there are some pie and peas left when we get back!
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • Not very happy about the lack of way markers, ended up doing an extra 5 miles!
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • Fortunately plenty of others to follow on the Charlotte, although I had to refer to the map once too. Great event, perfect weather, a bit tougher than I expected. Looking forward to seeing the results. Hope you had a good day other than the diversion.
  • Pie and peas at the end was without doubt the best part.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20