Losing the plot with tyres....

brindlescoops
brindlescoops Posts: 464
edited July 2013 in Road general
So, I was running Schwalbe Ultreme ZX's but after a recent spate of punctures and them generally tearing up I decided to try some GP4000s' in 25mm, but then found they were too wide, so are now sitting in my garage as a ornament - cant send them back as I fitted them and rode up and down the street. . .. So I then got some 23mm GP4000s and some extra puncure protecting zefal tape to go between the tyre and tube as a belt and braces appraoch to punctures, but when I fitted them, both popped a little of the bead off the rim as they got to full inflation - (120psi as I'm a big lump), I have never had this before. I deflated, popped them back on a reinflated - even up to 130psi and they stayed on OK, but I'm a little worried, it maybe that I just didn't fit them properly in the first place, but I'm a bit worried now that I'll be cornering at high speed on a left hand bend, one will pop off and I'll dissapear under a transit :shock:

They are on Mavic Open Pro rims, but then reading the info that comes with the tyres, apparently if you want to fit them at anthing over 80 PSI, you need hook edge rims (how you tell the difference I dont know) I had my Ultremos running at 120psi and never had any issues like this, has anyone else had the same problem? Do I just forget about it and carry on, putting it down to a one off, I really don't want 2 sets of basically brand new GP4000s hanging in my garage if I can help it. :(
My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.

Comments

• pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    on the plus side if your a big lump you wont fit under a transit !!!!!;)

im a big lump also and only run 110psi on my bike..

im sure you will be fine..

send us a pm if your selling the 25s cheap !!!
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    You probably had the inner tube under the bead.
    Put a few psi in the tube and check round both sides that the tyre bead is under the rim lip.
    At 120psi it won't come off if seated correctly. Probably:-)
  • on the plus side if your a big lump you wont fit under a transit !!!!!

I'm hoping not to perform a practical test of the theory :shock: Lol.
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    They are on Mavic Open Pro rims, but then reading the info that comes with the tyres, apparently if you want to fit them at anthing over 80 PSI, you need hook edge rims (how you tell the difference I dont know)
    I am running Michellin Road Pro 4 Service Course at 115 psi on Mavic Open Pro rims with absolutely no issues.

I suspect hook edge rims will be referring to the lip on both innermost sides of the rims. Possible example here (not necessarily a Mavic rim but you get the idea as to what you are looking for)

DSCF0804.jpg

According to the tyre pressure manual on the site here http://www.mavic.com/sites/default/files/download/tirepressurechart_eng.pdf with a 25mm tyre you can run it (assuming the tyre can take it) at up to 131 psi so just check the rim is as shown (would be very surprised if not) and then you are good to go.

Regards

Alan
    Regards
    Alan
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    I'm pretty sure all modern clinchers are hook edge rims. Sounds like you just didn't seat the tyre on the rim properly before inflating.
  • send us a pm if your selling the 25s cheap !!!

Me too please
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    I know it is more cost, but maybe you could consider investing in tubeless and a lot of these problems would disappear.
  • chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    Why not buy GP 4seasons and have that puncture protection built into the tyre.
  • I was going to but love the rolling resistance of the lighter weight tyre, profile and compound etc, so I though this would be a good compromise. I'm going to go out for a ride tomorrow, I will report back if it all works OK!
  • Well I'm still here! Did a quick 30m with my club tonight and no issues! They still look box fresh, the ultremos showed a few cuts after the first ride so already impressed!

:D
  • Mindermast
    Mindermast Posts: 124
    I have tried puncture protection tape exactly once and I don't like it. There are good tyres with built in puncture protection, good rolling properties and reasonable weight. One has been named, I am sure, there are others from different brands. I have put on the named ones after last Christmas and had exactly one puncture, by a huge shard of glass, which caused a tiny hole in the tube - about 2700 miles by now. And rolling resistance is not so important on racing bikes. What counts is the grip and stability in curves.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Surely GP4000s + tape are worse RR and probably no lighter weight than GP4seasons? Surprised your inner tube didn't go bang when it popped of the bead before, does sound like the tyre wasn't seated properly in the first place though. How much do you weight, 120psi is huge (90Kg and 95-100psi here).