Is the 26" Trail Bike dead?

P-Jay
P-Jay Posts: 1,478
edited July 2013 in MTB general
I've not exactly got my finger on pulse of all things new bike related, I'm too tight / poor to buy brand new bikes anymore, but window shopping around a few manufacturer sites and here and there it's seems when it comes to 2014 bikes anything FS and 5" or 6" in travel is going to be offered in 29" or 650b only next year and anything shorter travel or hardtail is 29" only.

Am I being overly dramatic, or is it really a case that all the off-the-shelf bike sellers have collectively decided to kill off 26" with a single swing of the axe????

Comments

• pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Here we go again! Do a quick search and I'm sure you'll find many a thread with the same subject
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    This place hasn't changed much....

I found a few hundred posts debating the merits of lack there of them, but little on whether it was a moot point because you might not be actually able to buy decent 26" bikes in the near future.
  • pete_s
    pete_s Posts: 213
    Nahhh.

I reckon a lot of things within the bike industry that are sold as technical progress are really just changes in fashion. There's still a lot of people who have a lot of money to spend on their 26" bikes.
  • pesky_jones
    P-Jay wrote:
    This place hasn't changed much....
    Still get people posting topics that have been previously covered in countless threads?

Some people think 26" will inevitably live on through customer resale which encourages retail giants to continue cashing in, some people think the retail giants will fade it out within the next few years.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    The 26" trail bike will survive for some time yet, but I suspect it will move downmarket or into niches. Although there's been plenty of growth in the other wheel sizes, 26" still has a huge installed base (so tyres and tubes won't be hard to come by) and may well find a place even in an all-29" future as a size for smaller riders. Adding 650B into the mix is only going to slow the transition by introducing uncertainty - some people will be less keen to buy into either 'new' size until they know which one will come out ahead.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    no.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Nukeproof Mega TR - 26 inch trail bike very well received in reviews. One reviewer even makes the comment, the only problem is so many people wont consider it because its not a 650B.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    no.
    Yes.

Just for balance you understand.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Anyway wheels are so 10,000BC. I'm waiting for a hoverbike.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    cooldad wrote:
    no.
    Yes.

Just for balance you understand.

completely, one of us will be right.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    This current wheel size nonsense fills me with uncertainty and confusssion. I get the merits of the new big wheel bikes, but it has stopped me buying a new bike until its all settled for one particular size. I didn't like the feel of a 29er. Not tried a 650b yet. But i am sure i cant be the only person holding fire on buying a new bike until they know which direction the manufacturers are going to head in the long term. To be honest it makes no difference to my riding anyway. The wheel size is not my limiting factor, my ability on the bike and fitness level has more bearing on how the bike performs!
  • cooldad
    Rubbish. Just buy a bike. If you like 26", get 26". There will be support and bits for years and years to come, as there are millions of the things out there.
    By the time they are obsolete, if that happens, you will be on a mobility scooter anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    I can't stand any wheel size. I'd rather get my tape out and measure different circular bits of metal and then argue about them on the internet than ride a bike
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    650B is the new 26" and in five years time 26" wheels will be the next greatest thing again.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Why all the fuss? It's a bike. If you like the way it rides and it fits your needs who gives a sh!t what size wheels it has? It's still a mountain bike, whether its 26, 29 or 650b. Yes there are fewer companies making 26er's but then it's been happening in the xc world for years, people dropping 26ers for 29ers... If anything, 650b is giving back smaller wheels where 29er's either did or might have dominated. Personally I don't get the resistance, it generates money for the industry which means better bikes for everybody.

Then again it struck me today that this being a largely UK based forum, the british do love a bloody good moan... So that may have something to do with it.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Going by the American market which we follow by about 3 years yes deader than Osama Bin Laden. Go into a US bike shop and ask for a 26er and they will point you in the direction of the leisure department at Walmart.

My cousin lives in the US and he loathes 29ers with a passion he has bought 3 that I know of and ridden them but he just hates them. He cannot buy a quality 26er HT I dont mean not in his size I mean anywhere in the State of any size. I have sent him links to lots of sellers in the UK like On One and Charge but he wants to sit on and test before buying.

Personally I am happy as long as the wheels go round.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cooldad
    Whatever bike you buy now, there will be bits for it for the foreseeable future - hell I have half a dozen loose wheels just in the entrance hall of my flat alone.
    I might hoard everything until there's nothing left and it's worth millions.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone know where I can get Sony Minidiscs, Betamax video cassettes and Edison wax cylinders?
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    On the bright side used 26" bikes should hold their value well when we don't have the option of buying them new.
  • pete_s
    pete_s Posts: 213
    Batmo wrote:
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone know where I can get Sony Minidiscs, Betamax video cassettes and Edison wax cylinders?

I take the sentiment of your post but all those things you listed are improvements on the technology that preceeded it. What sucks is that potentially you wont be able to buy new equipment for the size of bike you like to ride because some salesman said it's better, not because is actually is.

Worst case is that it'll go the way of vinyl where there are a small number of connoisseurs who pay through the nose for bits and pieces of specialst equipment. Tomorrow I will be speculating on the stock market - PM me if you want any tips.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    go into your lbs. You can still buy- quill stems, valve rubber, 6 speed freewheels, pumps that fit onto the lugs on your frame, down tube shifters.......etc

They may not be as common in the future(debateable that one) but if there is demand, there will be supply. Its up to us as consumers...
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • russyh
    cooldad wrote:
    Rubbish. Just buy a bike. If you like 26", get 26". There will be support and bits for years and years to come, as there are millions of the things out there.
    By the time they are obsolete, if that happens, you will be on a mobility scooter anyway.

I guess thats aimed at me? If so why is it rubbish. Sure parts will be available for the rest of my life. But its looking that I wont be able to buya 26" bike shortly. All the different wheel sizes dont fill me with confidence and its stopping me buying a new bike. Not that I need on mind. To me this wheel nonsense is just that nonsense! A marketing ploy to make people upgrade to the latest bike. However I think its a little short sighted. What next? Car manufacturers telling me I need to buy and estate car becuase it has more space? Then all the manufacturers clubbing together and only making estate cars? For me personally I dont care what they do but I wish they would make their mind up as I think it onfuses people and actually turns people off making a purchase.
  • cooldad
    I suggest a strongly worded letter to the Daily Mail.

So either buy a bike or don't. Harumphing about the unfairness of the world in general won't achieve anything.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    mattshrops wrote:
    go into your lbs. You can still buy- quill stems, valve rubber, 6 speed freewheels, pumps that fit onto the lugs on your frame, down tube shifters.......etc

They may not be as common in the future(debateable that one) but if there is demand, there will be supply. Its up to us as consumers...

You can indeed. But not top end stuff. Or even mid range stuff.
  • cooldad
    Everyone will just have to join Retrobike and become anoraks.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • pesky_jones
    :):D
  • russyh
    cooldad wrote:
    I suggest a strongly worded letter to the Daily Mail.

So either buy a bike or don't. Harumphing about the unfairness of the world in general won't achieve anything.

Me? i couldnt careless really as mentioned in my post. i wont be buying a b ike till all this wheel bullshit has calmed down. I just enjoy riding, but i also enjoy new kit. However this whole wheel debarcle makes the buying process too complicated and confussing. I will just keep riding what i got, until it all settles down.

As for the world being unfair. Yeah, it is! I am devilishly handsome and some others are ugly schmuks. Finally i certainly would waste my time reading or writing to the Daily Mail. The only time i buy a copy is if the shop has run out of toilet roll.
  • plasma_man
    plasma_man Posts: 129
    There is nothing complicated or confusing about it. You buy the bike that suits you the most! Sounds like you want to have the latest in thing, even if its not the best match for you!
    - 2013 Cube LTD, SL 29, grey / black.
  • russyh
    Not the latest In thing so to speak. But I'm not sure I want to spend the best part of £3k to be told 5months later that there is another wheel size which is better. Not sure what's wrong with that? As I said the wheel size makes no difference to me if I'm being honest my riding ability is more of an issue then wheel size but I like to think what I'm buying will be upto date for at least some period of time. It just seems to me there are too many conflicting messages in terms of wheel size at present and until it all settles down I won upgrade my bike. What's up with that? That's what makes me feel comfortable so that's what must be right for me. I know I'm not the only one as several if my riding mates think the same!
  • plasma_man
    plasma_man Posts: 129
    How can you be told which wheel size is better? It's your choice, not everyone else's.

The only issue is if you don't have the chance to test them, then it is much harder, so it's best not to rush and try and arrange some test rides before you part with your cash.
    - 2013 Cube LTD, SL 29, grey / black.