has anybody tried????

sapperk
sapperk Posts: 17
edited July 2013 in MTB general
Hi all

My first post on here really apart from replying to a couple of classifieds.
Maybe a random thought and maybe in the forum but....

Last night i was thinking...........Has anybody tried running a 29er fork and wheel on the front with the standard 26 on the back. I suppose the theory being that the front will roll over the bigger dips etc etc and all the other up sides of the 29er with the thought that rear wheel will just follow.

Mmmm the things I think about on night shift

Kye

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    specialized used to run a 26" wheel up front and a 24" (IIRC) on the back on the old big hits. same principle I guess
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    sapperk wrote:
    Hi all

My first post on here really apart from replying to a couple of classifieds.
    Maybe a random thought and maybe in the forum but....

Last night i was thinking...........Has anybody tried running a 29er fork and wheel on the front with the standard 26 on the back. I suppose the theory being that the front will roll over the bigger dips etc etc and all the other up sides of the 29er with the thought that rear wheel will just follow.

Mmmm the things I think about on night shift

Kye
    Yes, it's called a 69er
    trekGeared69er.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    It would change the geometry, making headangle slacker. Cant think of any reasons why not, but then again can't think of any reason why you would do it.
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    On kind of the same note, if 29 is better then why not 29.5 or 30?
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Concorde wrote:
    Dont let the big brands here you say that, they'll start getting ideas.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    I believe the reverse combination has been tried too. Must be a pain if you like to carry a spare inner tube
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Concorde wrote:
    Because 29" wheels already existed, as did 650B. They just chose another conveniently available wheel, and claimed that it was better, rather than trying to actually research into the optimum.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Many HT's can be 69ered by using a shorter travel fork than the max it willtake to keep the ground to crown distance the same as the max it should be with a 26 wheel.

A Friend has a 36er (next wheel size up) good fun and like a fatbike will steamroller many a rough surface, a little cumbersome though!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    Surely if you have a bigger front wheel than back wheel you will always be riding uphill. Better that you do it the other way around so you can ride faster.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    merkin wrote:
    Surely if you have a bigger front wheel than back wheel you will always be riding uphill. Better that you do it the other way around so you can ride faster.
    So one of these?
    10319038.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    merkin wrote:
    Surely if you have a bigger front wheel than back wheel you will always be riding uphill.
    There's a lot of stupid stuff on here recently, but despite that, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt, and just assume you're joking.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    cooldad wrote:
    merkin wrote:
    So one of these?
    10319038.jpg
    No no no....the chain would need to be tight, then it would be fine!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    merkin wrote:
    Surely if you have a bigger front wheel than back wheel you will always be riding uphill.
    There's a lot of stupid stuff on here recently, but despite that, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt, and just assume you're joking.

It's true! Train on a penny farthing and you'll be King of the Mountains!
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er