Seat height

Clarke_111
Clarke_111 Posts: 22
edited July 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

Noob mtber here and looking for some set up advice. I have a Boardman comp hard tail, and have set it up with the seat height the same in relation to pedal as my road bikes (which I have been fitted on). This feels comfortable whilst riding on road/smooth trails/fire roads, and efficient when climbing.

However I went out and got lost in the woods yesterday eve and found that on technical, tight single track it was less than ideal. I was struggling to get my foot down to rescue me at time, and found that getting 'going' again was difficult... Is the seat to high, or to people stick with the most efficient height for peddling and get used to it... Or is a dropper post the only answer?

Also currently my handlebars are set a little lower than my saddle, again, this feels good most of the time, but not on tech stuff... Should I raise them a bit really (there are spacers above stem so I could).

Appreciate fit is individual, but looking for some general advice

Thanks!

Comments

• Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    You can either hop off and lower/raise it depending on terrain or set it at a height which is a compromise between pedalling and moving around on the bike. Up to you. Same with the bars, raising them will help on the downs but make it harder to keep the front wheel down when climbing. Personal preferences. .
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Fiddle and see.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited July 2013
    I set my saddle about 1.5" lower on my MTB than on my commuter and am well versed in slipping forward off the saddle if I want to dab a foot, as no, can't reach the ground from the saddle!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Clarke_111 wrote:
    but looking for some general advice

Thanks!
    forget every thing from the road bike. on an MTB you are not sat in the same place for boring hour on boring hour.

It is a much more dynamic activity. Yes the ideal seat hight for pedalling seated is the same, but the measurement is different due to different stack heights of shoes and cleats...

so set it so your hips are not rocking for most level and seated riding. if you think you will be getting a bit squirrly then drop it a bit as it will aid moving about. finally dont try and dab while seated you will not.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    nicklouse wrote:
    Finally dont try and dab while seated you will not.
    Just going to reinforce that idea.
    MTB bottom brackets are much higher than roadie ones, so you won't be able to get a foot down whilst seated.