Early or late commute?

leeefm
leeefm Posts: 260
edited July 2013 in Commuting chat
I cycled in to work early this morning and noted the difference: generally more peaceful, air a lot more fresh, cooler. The biggest thing I noticed, though, was how crazy some of the drivers are at that time of the morning. Normally when I cycle to work later, the air is a bit thick, it's hotter, more traffic and noisy, but the traffic is slow because of the inevitable traffic jams and I just scoot through. This morning I had several drivers try and squeeze me into the pavement for no real reason - there were no cars coming in the opposite direction. They were also cars that - to me - looked like they were considerably breaking the speed limit too.

So, what do you prefer? Early commute, which is generally more pleasant but has these crazy cars, or a later commute, which *seems* less hazardous (at least on my commute) but is less pleasant?
Shand Skinnymalinky
Argon 18 Radon

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    As I work a relatively long day, 10 hours, it is not really an option.
    On the few days when circumstances have dictated a later start, I found that I prefer the earlier version.

If anything, it is when traffic is queuing that jealous drivers tend to try and block my route. :evil:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Early, cooler, less traffic, fewer nod.. I mean other cyclists. And less people to scalp me!
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I'm an early starter,

On the road around 6ish, much prefer it to the roads being packed regardless of a few cars that drive a bit faster than normal. The few times that I have had to set off later 7:30 its surprises me how much more agro it is to get to work.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    I love the early starts, I'm on the road at 5.45am every day. 90% of my commute is country lanes though, I rarely see cars at that time, just suicidal and ridiculously undecisive rabbits.
  • yeah like EC out before 6 coutnry lanes for 25 miles then urban/city the next 21 miles, you definately notice the difference in traffic, its nice on the way back to, as you have all the rush hr traffic through the city and then you can unstress on the country roads
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,872
    Early start is better, I ride down the CS7 cycle route into the city of london and after about 7:30am it starts getting busy as hell with cyclists (on top of the general traffic increasing).

After 8am the roads start getting clogged up with schoolkids etc and there seems to be a a glut of L-plated Clapham Vespa riders in shorts & raybans, riding down the cycle lane and stopping across the ASL.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I love the early starts, I'm on the road at 5.45am every day. 90% of my commute is country lanes though, I rarely see cars at that time, just suicidal and ridiculously undecisive rabbits.

especially the baby / young rabbits
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    On the road at 6:30am - so yeah, prefer the earlier start.

I find it a bit more relaxed, but it's probably due to there being less cyclists about than cars.

Cars can use a lot of the bus lanes on my route until 7am, so you might expect it to be more dodgy before..but it rarely is.

Also means I can leave work at 5 - which means I get out of London before the main rush starts at 5:30 *phew*
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    My commute is Bushy Park and quiet (for london) roads, before 7am the Park is lovely though it's nicer and quieter in spring/autumn,

The roads are quieter if I go later and out of the Rushhour/s and means I can sleep in!
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    yeah like EC out before 6 coutnry lanes for 25 miles then urban/city the next 21 miles

46 miles? Each way? Every day? Impressive.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Agent57 wrote:
    yeah like EC out before 6 coutnry lanes for 25 miles then urban/city the next 21 miles

Even more impressive is that he pops home for lunch!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:

Even more impressive is that he pops home for lunch!
    To be fair, he doesn't claim to cycle them. :lol:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Agent57 wrote:

Bloody hell, what's your calorie intake for that commute. You must have to spend all day eating. 8)

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • Koncordski wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:

Bloody hell, what's your calorie intake for that commute. You must have to spend all day eating. 8)

yeah i have started the full commutes, mornings are fine but the way home is a pain especially if i have to work late, this week has been tough in the heat of the rush hr traffic and then a headwind most days on the way back, weds as in rants thread both tyres split and popped at the same time, brought some ulterimo's zx's yesterday so will see what they are like next week.

In regards to calorie intake probably not enough, have a ceral bar halfway in the journey coming and going, porridge when i get to the office, crisps & pot noodle for lunch, then a quick pasta pot 30 mins before leaving the office. Had to resort to two water bottles in this heat though, but when i get home i pigged out on anything i fancy really.

• Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Well its pretty inspiring without blowing too much smoke up your arris. Having moved way out to Kent i'm struggling with the brompton train combo and longing to ride in again. Used to do a 20 each way trip from surbiton but that was pretty flat, the 28 each way now would involve some serious climbing in the morning. Hoping to do an early doors test run next week but not sure I can stick it day-in day-out. Your post is some encouragement though, chapeau!

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • yeah i would said test it, even if you do it for a two days a week and build up, there is a climb on the way home i could take but im not a hill climber and it kills me everytime even though its small fry to some its 400ft climb under a mile that ramps up to 14% near the end, so i avoid it and take a detour :lol:

• essex-commuter
    there is a climb on the way home i could take but im not a hill climber and it kills me everytime even though its small fry to some its 400ft climb under a mile that ramps up to 14% near the end, so i avoid it and take a detour :lol:

Complete shot in the dark....Old Church Hill?!
  • Got it in one :wink:

In fact north hill is a doddle compared to that hill

• essex-commuter
    Got it in one :wink:

In fact north hill is a doddle compared to that hill

:D

I used to live in Barking and commuted to Basildon every day via Fen lane and Old Church Hill, chucking a left at the top and dropping down into town. It's a tough hill, especially with a laptop in the pannier! I used to get wheelspin in the wet!
  • i went down it on the first batch of snow we had this year, it was sheet ice all the way down, fell of halfway down and walked the rest :oops:

• pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    The trip in at 0600 is certainly lovely at the moment conditions-wise, tbh I'm not really fussed what it's like for the evening ride home as I'm just glad to have finished 12hrs staring at a screen with a phone glued to my ear! Having just discovered that there are two courses on Mapmyride on the return leg a good thrash for 4 1/2 mins gets rid of any stress. During the first couple of miles out of the village I always have the same five or six cars come past me which is, in a strange way, quite nice...
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    yeah i would said test it, even if you do it for a two days a week and build up

Saw this and there is something I have been wondering the last few days.

I have extended the commute to around 20 miles EW. Initially it was direct around 15 RT and with increases over 4 months built it up up to 25 mile RT before current route. All country roads and lately some hills. problem is the legs die after two days and I end up driving the third day. Overall my weekly miles have gone up along with fitness but legs really hurt a lot.

Would you recommend alternate days of 40 mile RT until consecutive days are fine or 4/5 days of 25 RT and try and increase distance gradually as before.
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    Assuming that you were fine doing a week of 25 RT and the end goal is to ride all five days I'd start doing 25 RT Mon-Thurs and a 40 RT Fri then you have the weekend for recovery. Once that's OK then keep trading a 25 for a 40 until you're doing a week of 40s. Lots of permutations really: 40/25/40/25/40, chuck a driving day in anytime you're knackered...
    Or can you create a route of 30-35 miles RT to give yourself a bit more of a step up to the 40 RT?
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    Assuming that you were fine doing a week of 25 RT and the end goal is to ride all five days I'd start doing 25 RT Mon-Thurs and a 40 RT Fri then you have the weekend for recovery. Once that's OK then keep trading a 25 for a 40 until you're doing a week of 40s. Lots of permutations really: 40/25/40/25/40, chuck a driving day in anytime you're knackered...
    Or can you create a route of 30-35 miles RT to give yourself a bit more of a step up to the 40 RT?

Thanks, long day last day of the week sounds good.

Might try a long day Thursday and work backwards from that. I do try to rest Friday so I can get out the weekend. 5 days a week is not a big thing really. A driving day is not a problem as it is 15 RT in countryside with no rush hour/train/gridlock issues.
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • mattgeezer
    mattgeezer Posts: 1,805
    On the road at 5am when i work mornings, only 10 miles though, much prefer early mornings especially when its warm enough for shorts and a short sleeved jersey, likewise like a late commute home when i work late night and leave at midnight, much more quiet/peaceful out! except for crazy taxi drivers that is!
    Allez 2013
    Pitch 2011
    GT Moto 2003