PBo Posts: 2,493
edited July 2013 in Commuting chat
Am I allowed?

Do I really want to?

Going from Surrey quays to can w.

Comments

• Ride hard
    Ride hard Posts: 389
    I'm a bit of a nut job who loves whizzing through major roundabouts like Elephant and Castle that others would wince at, but I stop at going through tunnels.

I pass there everyday and meet another cyclist on the way who goes through there (so you might be allowed to go through), but as I say I definitively would not want to.

I know it's a bit of a faff, but you're better off going to Tower Bridge and then making your way back East. At least you'll be guaranteed to not breathe in all that uber polluted air, and not have the threat of anything else happening in a confined space.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    You are allowed. Its a SPEC'd 20mph so most people stick to that but there is no space for overtaking if on the road. Most people run the pavement through & seem to stick to the left side of whichever way they are traveling, which makes sense.

I've thought about cycling through there but every time I drive I take shallow breathes so as not to breathe in the polution and that is in an a/c'd car! Tower Bridge is a better bet.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I did it once. It was hot, and this was during winter. Very polluted. Not nice. The traffic is limited to 20mph I think and you can easily maintain that - being in a closed environment and drafting the car in front its actually pretty easy. The pollution though - ugh.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Agreed, you can but it is pretty grim. You can see the pollution in the air (hint, that ain't dust!)
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    You are allowed but avoid.

Other options are the Overground from Canda Water to Wapping, you are allowed bikes but there maybe some peak time restrictions, it's £1.60 peak with an Oyster card or £2 cash. Or the Hilton Ferry which costs £3.50 and I think let bikes on at all times. Or the Woolwich foot tunnel but not quite the right location. Or Tower Bridge.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Sketchley wrote:
    You are allowed but avoid.

Other options are the Overground from Canda Water to Wapping, you are allowed bikes but there maybe some peak time restrictions, it's £1.60 peak with an Oyster card or £2 cash. Or the Hilton Ferry which costs £3.50 and I think let bikes on at all times. Or the Woolwich foot tunnel but not quite the right location. Or Tower Bridge.

Or the Greenwich foot tunnel, woolwich foot tunnel or the Emirates airline.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Thanks guys, will avoid....