New bike builder question.

jocarl011
jocarl011 Posts: 25
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Hi, I am going to build my own bike using the Ribble 7046 Sportive curved frame, I can't afford to buy all the parts at once so was hoping I can use the parts from my Carerra tdf? What I don't know is which parts will fit straight on and which need a certain measurement or shape such as the bottom bracket ect so any help would be great.

Ps go easy I have never built my own before :-)

Comments

• JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    Size specific items are:

Seat post size.

Bottom bracket - can be a messy can of worms... do you know exactly what is on your Carerra? BB width, diameter, bearing type and size.
    Then there's the question of whether your Carerra crankset will fit on the BB spindle that works with Ribble.

Does your Carerra and the Ribble use the same type & size stem?

Is the front deraileur a 'clamp on' (around the seat tube)? If so there can be a problem if the seat tubes are different sizes.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • jocarl011
    JayKosta wrote:
    Size specific items are:

Seat post size.

Bottom bracket - can be a messy can of worms... do you know exactly what is on your Carerra? BB width, diameter, bearing type and size.
    Then there's the question of whether your Carerra crankset will fit on the BB spindle that works with Ribble.

Does your Carerra and the Ribble use the same type & size stem?

Is the front deraileur a 'clamp on' (around the seat tube)? If so there can be a problem if the seat tubes are different sizes.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA

Thanks for your reply plenty to be going on with already! the seatpost diameter on my Carerra is 27.2 and the Ribble 31.6 but I will buy a seatpost from Ribble when I get the frame.

I know nothing about the bottom bracket on my bike or the ribble frame, I have emailed Ribble for some spec on the frame so will wait for that.

My deraileur is clamp on so will hopefully see what size the seat tube is when I receive a reply.

The stem I also know nothing about :oops:

I think some research is in order here lol, anyway If I have to buy some parts that shouldn't be to much of a problem I should be able to use wheels, shifters brakes ect from the carerra so will save there for now!
  • blackpoolkev
    blackpoolkev Posts: 474
    Sell the Carerra and buy a Ribble.
  • jocarl011

Just about the worst bit of advice anyone can give!!
  • jocarl011

Did you even understand the question?