another headset question cube reaction GTC

bladeone
bladeone Posts: 94
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Evening,
servicing the headset today and its gone beyond servicing, the bike is a Cube reactionGTC 2012 fox float32 100mm currently with fsa headset, cant read the numbers due to bad pitting I've measured with verniers and know which size I need I think :roll: but not sure of the angles of bottom bearings tried the cane creek finder but that didn't seem to show angles either think it may be the following link could anyone confirm this or link me to correct bearing
thanks
http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/14 ... aring.html
YT Capra Pro Race
Trek Remedy 2013 (sold)
Cube Reaction GTC Pro (sold)
Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    more bike info?
    GTC?

year?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bladeone
    sure cube reaction GTC pro 2012 the top bearing is 1.1/8 and bottom measures id 1.5 and outside 51.8 mm I think the fork only taper right at the bottom

cheers
    YT Capra Pro Race
    Trek Remedy 2013 (sold)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so that headset will not do.

so tapered head tube. and the fork is also tapered.

so from the CC headset finder
    Top Headset:

SHIS:IS41 - 1-1/8" Cane Creek Integrated Threadless

Bottom Headset:

SHIS:IS52/40 - 1.5" Integrated (IS)
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bladeone
    thanks nick does the 52/40 refer to the sizes and are all the angles common it that size bearing.

Theres that many fsa types im confused I wanted just to replace like for like if I went CC would I have to replace to the bottom bit which is fitted to bottom of forks

Thanks Again
    YT Capra Pro Race
    Trek Remedy 2013 (sold)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You usually need to fit the 'bottom bit (crown race) when fitting a new headset, 5 mins job, so just change it then you don't have to worry!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bladeone
    Just to let you know I contacted a bike shop uk bikestore, very helpful guy there, I told them what I needed and I was correct in my OP the fsa 073 bearing the two numbers referred to the angle of the bearings and not the size the cane creek headfinder came up with 52mm and I needed 51.8 to be exact as my bearings fit directly into the carbon frame and are not pressed in.

Anyway thanks for the replies
    YT Capra Pro Race
    Trek Remedy 2013 (sold)