Avid Elixir 1 brake failure

red-earth
red-earth Posts: 3
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Front brake lever pulled back to bar without generating any braking force. Pumping brake did get them working, albeit with long lever travel and unfortunately not before I ran out of road.

Anyone else had a complete failure of Avid Elixir 1s? Or other Avid Elixir brakes for that matter. They worked earlier on the ride (on the flat) but failed when I really needed them. Going downhill at speed.

I'd appreciate any feedback. There are lots of posts here and elsewhere regarding bleeding Elixir brakes but no reports of losing braking effectiveness during a ride. The Elixirs were original equipment on the bike and recently serviced by the bike shop.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so any pad material left?

any leaks?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Big gap between pad and disc at rest?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • red-earth
    red-earth Posts: 3
    Thanks for the suggestions. Plenty of pad material. No obvious fluid leaks.

I don't recall the gap between pad and disc at rest. Brakes have now been changed so I can't check. Bike shop found the Avid Elixir 1s to be working normally, albeit with long lever travel, before replacing them for me.