Brake lever hoods

thefd
thefd Posts: 1,021
edited July 2013 in Road general
Had an off tonight, trying to patch up all the road rash!! My hoods took the majority of the impact and they are badly cut and grazed. Anyone know if and where you can buy new rubber Shimano 105 (5700) brake lever hoods? Had a google search and cannot find anything! :cry:
2017 - Caadx
2016 - Cervelo R3
2013 - R872
2010 - Spesh Tarmac

Comments

• declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • thefd
    declan1 wrote:
    Brilliant thanks very much! I'm ok - may have trouble sleeping tonight! Bike took the brunt saddle is also completely knacked!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Make sure you check the frame over for cracks! Get better soon :)

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Obviously already answered.

For the future though all the compnents on the Shimano Techdocs site can be obtained from Madison by your LBS.

I recently had an 'off' and whilst the hoods were unscathed the shims and the 105 name plates on both sides were completely blitzed. Thought I would need new brifters - got the replacement parts for £15 and took <10 mins to fit.
  • thefd
    To put these on can anyone help - how do I remove the hoods from the handlebars? Do I need to remove the handlebar tape?
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • thefd
    TheFD wrote:
    To put these on can anyone help - how do I remove the hoods from the handlebars? Do I need to remove the handlebar tape?
    Just found a clip online - seems I will have to remove the bar tape...
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You shouldn't have to remove the bar tape if all you're replacing is the rubber hoods?

My last comedy fall on the pavement at the end of the drive twisted my right shifter sideways; had a poke about under the hood and found the allen bolt to loosen in order to twist it back into position. No tape removal required.

That was on 8th June; hole in right knee is finally clearing up now!
  • markynulty
    markynulty Posts: 409
    You will not need to remove any tape. I have the 5700 sifters and ripped both name badges off and spilt the hoods coming down the cat and fiddle in January. Got the new ones from SJS and was dodddle to fit. Whip the hoods off over the levers (ie downwards) and from memory there are two little screws for each name plate. Then just slide the new hoods on over the levers.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    "ripped both name badges off and spilt the hoods coming down the cat and fiddle"

Your crash sounds better than mine! :D
  • thefd
    Cheers keef and marky. I wasn't thinking right - thanks. New hoods should arrive in the next couple of days then bike hopefully looking back to normal.
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac