First 50k

trek2300
trek2300 Posts: 20
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Completed my first 50k the other day and just thought id share. Im really delighted with myself and my recent achievement. I do consider myself to have pretty decent fitness. Any ideas how quickly i should ramp it up or how long it would take to get up to doing a 100k?

cheers

Comments

• cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    Well done - just stretch a little as you feel capable. Add another 5-10K on next time you are out and see how you get on.

How long to 100K depends upon how much pain and effort you want...

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • cattytown
    Lots of water is a must. In this weather you are better carrying a second full bottle and bringing it back untouched than wishing you had taken a second one. If you finish the first and have an opportunity get it filled again for the same reason.

I had a nice chat a while ago when I stopped at an old fashioned garage in the depths of Lancashire to top up a bottle.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
  • MartAstur
    MartAstur Posts: 122
    I moved up from 50 to 100k quite quickly and I wouldn't consider myself that fit. I found that at about 70k the legs really start to tire but if you take your time preparing an undemanding route, pace yourself well and stock up on water and fuel you could probably do it now if you are quite fit. If you choose a route that allows you to cut the ride short (say 70k) if you are beginning to tire that might be the best option. Take care with the heat and well done on the 50k.
  • cattytown
    I feel Mart is right - I get a feeling that once you are actually riding, increments are not so much whether or not you can, merely how long it will take.

fuelling starts to matter, and that's a personal thing. Some like flapjack, I find it a little claggy in the mouth, my preference so far is bananas early and malt loaf later in the ride.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    It depends really if you mean doing 100k once or 100k on a regular basis without being laid out for the rest of the day.

e.g. I was doing 30 milers pretty consistently and not feeling that tired at the end. Then a need a reasonably hilly 62 mile sportive and it was a big struggle! I'm currently up to doing about 45-50 miles and still feeling ok at the end, so although I've done a 100km I wouldn't say I'm there yet in terms of it being a 'normal' distance. (Been cycling for just under a year now)
  • trek2300
    trek2300 Posts: 20
    cheers for the replies lads some great advise much appreciated.