Dura-Ace cassette creak.... :(

garysan
garysan Posts: 63
edited October 2013 in Workshop
So then, cogs 2 & 3 on my cassette (1 being the top/biggest) have started making a creaking noise when I use them; these are the ones I mostly use when climbing... Are they worn & do I need a new cassette?

I should point out that there's no 'jumping' or other worn-like behaviour going on apart from this creaking. The cassette came attached to a rear wheel I bought so I have no idea how old it is. Didn't have any issues with it until this suddenly cropped up yesterday on a ride.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Creaking doesn't suggest worn sprockets, but it may be a sign that they are starting to make notches in the splines on the freehub. Or that the cassette lock-ring isn't tight enough.

Either way I'd suggest taking the cassette off the freehub for inspection / clean / reassembly.

The creak could always be coming from somewhere else though...
  • garysan
    keef66 wrote:
    Creaking doesn't suggest worn sprockets, but it may be a sign that they are starting to make notches in the splines on the freehub.

I shall do this (or get shop to do this as I don't have the exp. or tools required). The wheel is not secondhand though, it was brand new about 500-600 miles ago and came with freehub so I'd be surprised if it was that?
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    Is it Dura Ace 9000? There are some people complaining about creaking from those cassettes
  • garysan
    Mechanism wrote:
    Is it Dura Ace 9000? There are some people complaining about creaking from those cassettes

No, it's the 7900 series. It was a sudden thing, just started during one ride of about 18 miles :-/
  • keef66
    Shouldn't be eating the freehub after such a low mileage then. Maybe it's the lockring needs nipping up a bit, or maybe it's something else...
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Cross chaining?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • garysan
    smidsy wrote:
    Cross chaining?

I don't know what that means...?
  • keef66
    Riding in the big chainring / biggest sprocket combo or the opposite small chainring to smallest sprocket, both of which cause the chain to run at an angle. Frowned upon by some as it's not very kind to your drivetrain and is reputed to cause increased noise and wear.
  • garysan
    No, I don't do that as it chafes and makes a noise. I like silent running :)
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    garysan wrote:

Trimming is your friend.
  • keef66
    zx6man wrote:
    garysan wrote:

Trimming is your friend.

Are we talking front mech adjustment or intimate hair removal now?
  • I have had this problem myself, as have two other friends. It is possible that you need to grease between gear 3 and 4. If that doesn't work, it is the loose rivets that make the noise. This will require you sending this into Shimano for warranty replacement.
  • roypete wrote:
    I have had this problem myself, as have two other friends. It is possible that you need to grease between gear 3 and 4. If that doesn't work, it is the loose rivets that make the noise. This will require you sending this into Shimano for warranty replacement.

Is this for DA9000 11 speed?
  • No he has said that already.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • simonj
    simonj Posts: 346
    I take it someone hasn't forgotten to put on any 1mm spacer (if 8/9 speed hub with 10 speed cassette) or the 1.8mm & 1mm spacer (if 11 speed hub with 10 speed cassette) spacers before putting the cassette on?