Pro cyclists peaking physically

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited July 2013 in Commuting chat
Realistically and as a generalised response:

At what age do cyclists tend to peak physically? I've noticed that athletes are beginning to peak later and later.

How long do [clean] cyclists remain at the peak of their abilities. Looking at the GC contenders, and those that consistently finish in the top 5 places, I'm beginning to think that most cyclists remain at the very top of their game for 2 - 4 years and slowly decline (the short duration a direct result of the toll stage racing has on the human body).

Now, of course evidence has been warped by those seven years there was no winner of the Tour de France but it does seem that generally it is unusual for a guy to dominate the sport for more than 3 years before he slows down and another rider comes up to challenge him.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I'm not sure about athletes starting to peak later. It all depends on the sport. Cyclists have always tended to peak in their late 20's or so - look at the ages of Tour winners for example. Look at the likes of Millar and Jens. Aged 36 and 40 respectively and still doing a job. You don't see that in say Football (aside from keepers). Of course cycling is a low impact sport (barring falls) so puts less strain on the body compared to Rugby or Football. People happily cycle or golf until pretty late in life, and often to a decent standard. You don't see many 60 year olds playing amateur Rugby...
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I regularly get my arse kicked by veterans, on the plus side it is encouraging to think that I might be able to compete myself for a few years longer. On the other hand, I retired from rugby about 15 years ago!