Clash with a squirrel

t4tomo
t4tomo Posts: 2,643
edited July 2013 in Commuting chat
So I was riding at a decent lick on country lane through some woodland yesterday evening and a squirrel shot out from side of the road and ran into side of my front wheel. I'm think crap this is going to take me out, but no.. he (or she) must have got a paw or somethuing caught in a spoke as it shot upto about 10 o'clock on the wheel, then brushed up my leg for a bit and then cartwheel comedy style back into the bushes. It looked somewhat shocked last time a saw it flying tail u,p paws down towards the undergrowth.

:D
Bianchi Infinito CV
Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
Brompton S Type
Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
Gary Fisher Aquila '98
Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem

Comments

• JimboPlob
    JimboPlob Posts: 397
    Squirrels seem to go a bit mad at this time of year. They will often run out in front of you, panic dart left/right and then inevitably into your front wheel.

I was out on my TT bike doing near 50kph down a slight incline when this happened to me. Held on hard to the bars and felt two big bumps... I didn't look back but reckon it was one dead squirrel. (It was a busy 2 lane road so I there was no way I was going to swerve)

My advice is that if you see a squirrel, just hold your line. Hitting it is very unlikely to take you down, but swerving to try and dodge its very unpredictable moves is likely to make you dangerously swerve across the road.
  • t4tomo
    I didn't have time to even think about swerving, I was doing about 20mph (I work in old money) and was prob 8 inches out from the verge/ bush it ran out of.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Brompton S Type
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I thought the rule was:

Avoid red.
    Aim for grey.

Did I get that wrong?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    I thought the rule was:

Avoid red.
    Aim for pink.

Did I get that wrong?
    FTFY
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    Grey soon becomes red if it goes through your spokes.
  • Gallywomack
    Gallywomack Posts: 823
    Thankfully more squirrels are taking precautions and wearing hi-viz these days:

qA5nJtL.jpg

(Sighted near my house a month or so back)
  • t4tomo
    I was definately a Grey (vermin) one.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Brompton S Type
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Ran over a baby squirrel a few years back along the Thames path down on the Isle of Dogs. Both wheels on my heavy old Triban 7. Thought, that is one dead baby squirrel. Cycling past the other way the next day the bloody thing did it again! This time it stopped short of going under my wheels. I thought, at least you are learning little furry friend.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • I've had one run from the side and end up half way through my front wheel. He got fully rotated up and smacked through the forks before being spat out. I span around thinking i'd need put him out of his missery to find some bloke saying 'leave it mate, he's gone' like some doomed scene fron a Vietnam film.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • kelsen
    There's a pic that keeps floating around over in LFGSS where a squirrel ended up folded through somebody's forks, snapping them in the process.

I'm not going to link to it for the sake of forummer's with a nervous disposition (no doubt somebody will though!)
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    kelsen wrote:
    There's a pic that keeps floating around over in LFGSS where a squirrel ended up folded through somebody's forks, snapping them in the process.

I'm not going to link to it for the sake of forummer's with a nervous disposition (no doubt somebody will though!)

Yes, I was thinking about that photo... 2 of my greatest fears when cycling are getting a bee or wasp stuck in my helmet or a squirrel or other such rodent wedged in my wheel, snapping my forks...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • A few of us going down Little Switzerland the other day so moving at a fair pace. Mad squirrel shoots out, heads for one guys front wheel, think the better of it, heads for mine, reverses and heads back towards the first guy's wheel. Narrowly missed. Daft creatures.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    2 of my greatest fears when cycling are getting a bee or wasp stuck in my helmet

How about a bee flying into your mouth? I had that.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • wandsworth
    wandsworth Posts: 354
    MrSweary wrote:
    Ran over a baby squirrel a few years back along the Thames path down on the Isle of Dogs. Both wheels on my heavy old Triban 7. Thought, that is one dead baby squirrel. Cycling past the other way the next day the bloody thing did it again! This time it stopped short of going under my wheels. I thought, at least you are learning little furry friend.

You sure it was the same one?

One ran across in front of me the other week when I was at maximum velocity down Sawyers Hill in RP. No cars, no headwind ... but just a fecking squirrel. Thankfully he got across before I hit him.

They are pretty tough little bastards though. The other day one ran across our road, right under a car. I heard a bang and thought he was a goner, but then I saw him run out the other side and into the bushes.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    t4tomo wrote:
    I was definitely a Grey (vermin) one.

Not me
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    wandsworth wrote:
    One ran across in front of me the other week when I was at maximum velocity down Sawyers Hill in RP. No cars, no headwind ... but just a ******* squirrel. Thankfully he got across before I hit him.
    One of the doctor's at my GP's surgery was telling me she hit a rabbit going down Broomfield at speed. Straight over the handlebars onto one of those little wooden stumps. Broke 4 ribs in spectacular fashion. She said she's a lot slower down there nowadays.
  • oarsman
    oarsman Posts: 13
    Aren't you supposed to bunny hop those?

IGMC
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    About a month ago I was riding around the country lanes at night and a badger decides to charge me. I was doing about 20mph and the bugger headbutted my front wheel and almost simultaneously got a Shimano shoe in the face. A friend who knows about such things said that the wildlife go crazy when the shrooms are ripe!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Daddy0 wrote:
    About a month ago I was riding around the country lanes at night and a badger decides to charge me. I was doing about 20mph and the bugger headbutted my front wheel and almost simultaneously got a Shimano shoe in the face. A friend who knows about such things said that the wildlife go crazy when the shrooms are ripe!

If. Anyone. Mentions. That. Song...
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • hegyestomi
    hegyestomi Posts: 504
    I think squirrels are jealous of their in-house hamster relatives and looking for a wheel...
    Once I hit a dachshund, front wheel over, dog spinning like a sausage between the two wheels, then both of us going to our own way (slightly shocked but still upright)
  • ETreeson
    ETreeson Posts: 88
    Daddy0 wrote:

Huh?
  • ETreeson wrote:
    Daddy0 wrote:

Huh?

Thats not a song. its a type of torture that use sound instead of physical punishment.

But squirrels and rabbits this time of year seem to go batshit crazy and start self euthanising.
    The doctor said I needed to start drinking more whiskey. Also, I’m calling myself ‘the doctor’ now
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    squirrel1.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    ETreeson wrote:
    Daddy0 wrote:

Huh?

Thats not a song. its a type of torture that use sound instead of physical punishment.

But squirrels and rabbits this time of year seem to go batshit crazy and start self euthanising.

Aren't the shrooms a bit later in the year? Always used to be that way up in Dundee but I guess that could be the colder weather. Or so I'm told. :D
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • Headhuunter
    nicklouse wrote:
    squirrel1.jpg

OMG, that's worse than the other photo! It's still alive - is it your bike? You just stood around taking photos of the poor thing with it's leg half ripped off?
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    If it was still alive, how would you go about putting it out of its misery (given that squirrels presumably have sharp teeth)? Jump back on the bike and ride a bit further? :shock:
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Headhuunter
    TGOTB wrote:
    If it was still alive, how would you go about putting it out of its misery (given that squirrels presumably have sharp teeth)? Jump back on the bike and ride a bit further? :shock:

Definitely still alive, you can tell by the angle of the head, the eyes and it's front paw... You'd have to get it disentangled from the wheel before riding on anyway, think I'd prioritise getting it out and killing it over taking a photo!
  • kelsen
    TGOTB wrote:
    Just leave it there and ride around with it to freak people out
  • condorman
    condorman Posts: 811
    I found that a squirrel could get through my front wheel but a cat could not. The cat wiped me out and if I'd found that cat ... Quite a surreal conversation telephoning work to say I'd be late in as I got taken out by a cat.
    Condor Pista
    50x16
  • The Ors
    The Ors Posts: 130
    Agent57 wrote:
    2 of my greatest fears when cycling are getting a bee or wasp stuck in my helmet

How about a bee flying into your mouth? I had that.
    Me too. It was when I was a kid; I was chewing gum with my mouth open. I didn't manage to stop chewing in time, so chewed up the bee/wasp. I can still see the bits of it mashed into the chewing gum as I quickly spat it out! I still wonder whether I would have ended up with a stung throat if I hadn't chewed it to death first.