80k ride in Oct. Where do I start?

lil piglet
lil piglet Posts: 4
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Hello,

I am new on here but need some adive. I have decided that I want to complete the 80km Cycletta in October and was wondering where to start!

Currently I am a runner and occassional MTBer since my son was born 2 years ago. Prior to that MTB was what we did each and every weeked.

I went out for a short spin yesterday (MTB), as I need to start somewhere but was wondering whether I can do a mixture of MTB and Road riding as my training. (I also walk the dog twice a day, so am reasonably fit, but could always be fitter)

I'm not sure where to start or how to set up my training schedule.

Any advice would be great, thank you in advance.

LP

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Ride the bike (any bike) as often as you can, for as far as you can manage. If your only goal is to complete the distance, then you could probably do it now. I wouldn't expect the dog walking to be of much benefit though.
  • Thanks
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    So, 50 miles.

If you already run and have cycling experience, you're probably most of the way there already. Just get out there and see what distance you can do. 20 miles... then 30... then 40. 2 or 3 months should be more than enough :)
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Emphursis
    Emphursis Posts: 124
    Just ride as much as you can and increase your distance each week. I got my road bike in December, after a few months of not riding at all (got a mountain bike last summer, but couldn't ride it from September onwards as I was at Uni), rode a fair bit in December and January, doing a few 25 miles rides and signed up for a 100km sportive at the start of May. Then didn't touch it all through February and March because of the weather, come April I realised I needed to do some riding or I wouldn't manage the 100k. Long story short, managed it, although I was bloomin knackered, and only did one 40mile and one 30mile ride in preparation, the rest were 22miles or so.

Anyway, point is, you've got three months, which is plenty of time to build up your stamina so you can do 80k.
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    They are all right, you know! just get out and ride.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • Pouts
    Pouts Posts: 34
    As everyone is saying.....get out and ride...

I recently completed the Dartmoor Classic- 68 miles- (and notoriously hilly) with only 12 weeks training.

I was not remotely fit and threw up on my first 2 mile ride with the effort!

12 weeks on after getting out for shorter rides in the evenings and then increasing the distance at weekends I managed it. Added bonus was that I lost 1.5 stone in that time too.

You can definitely do this but get the miles In starting as soon as possible.

Good Luck and enjoy!
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Here's a 12 week training plan for designed for a 70-80 mile sportive with loads of climbing.

http://www.etapepennines.co.uk/images/P ... n%20(12hrs)%20(2).pdf

I'm using it to turn my commutes into training sessions and have a few rides in the 70-100 mile range in mind over the summer.

I didn't use and formal training plan for my first 100 mile sportive last month, but had I used that I'd have been faster as it helps you focus on specific goals each ride.

My mum trains dogs for agility and has adapted her bike to attach their leads, maybe you could get your dog fit at the same time?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Thank you all for the advice. I managed to get out two evenings this week just for short rides to get me back into so to speak.

I can't ride at all this weekend as heading to London and running the Olympic Park 5 mile run, which is being started off by Sir Chris Hoy.....so excited but its going to be hot, hot, hot!

Will aim to get out three evenings next week and also over the weekend.

Thanks Again
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    80k can be done comfortably. Remember to stay hydrated and take on energy now and then and you can go a lot farther than 80km. Stay relaxed on the bike and adjust you position to keep you fresh. Good luck and enjoy the ride