Radio 2 and the Warren Zevon conspiracy

heavymental
heavymental Posts: 2,076
edited July 2013 in The cake stop
Ok, I know I should just listen to another station but we've just got a tinny little radio at work that doesn't pick much up so R2 is the choice.

Here's the theory; Warren Zevon has contacts in the station and he's using them to make money via royalties when they play his song. Why else would they play Werewolves of London so often? Also, they play Kid Rock's song All Summer Long which samples the aforementioned tune meaning he will receive royalties on this too.

Of all the songs in the world, why choose Werewolves of London to be on the radio at least once a week? Who even listens to Warren Zevon? As far as I can find out it didn't even chart in the UK and only reached 21 in the US chart. None of his albums have made it into the UK charts except for The Wind, which didn't make the top 40 (it peaked at 57).

I feel that we are being told that this song is a classic without any basis to show that anyone actually likes it.

In 2004, Radio 2 listeners voted it the best opening lyrics of all time. But, listeners were given a shortlist and one of the other contenders was Rock Around the Clock. To me, it feels that listeners were directed to that decision. The opening lines may be considered 'surreal' but actually it's really not very inventive. It's more nonsense that creative.

Fuuuuucckckkkk!!! He's dead! He died in 2003! This blows my theory out of the water! He's not even getting the money. Who is!!?

God I hate this song and fkin Radio 2 play it all the time. It does raise a wider question of what is the thinking behind the Radio 2 playlist. Of all the songs in all the world, we are given a small selection and some, like Werewolves of London, defy logic as to why they are on the playlist. Can anyone explain?

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    They always used to play Loudon Wainwright III, (I preferred it when he was indie Loudon Wainwright I, II was a complete waste of space) - and James Taylor, does anyone with ears actaully listen to James Taylor
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Also, they play Kid Rock's song All Summer Long which samples the aforementioned tune meaning he will receive royalties on this too.

That's the one that about listening to Sweet Home Alabama all summer long. Yeah, right. Clearly Warren Zevon's music publisher does a better job than Lynrd Skinryd's. As WZ was fairly young when he died, I suspect that he has a family getting royalties for his music. The music industry isn't known for it's great pension planning.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    @cleat... Absolutely love loudo, saw him in Bristol a while back and chatted in the bar after the gig. Looks very much like a corporate businessman in a suit now but his talent isn't diminished. And what a musical family
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    We listen to a rotation of radio stations in work (swapping them when stress levels reach boiling point) and they're all shite :evil:
    They all have very small playlists, and even the one that guarantees not to play the same song twice, plays the same songs every day only in differing combinations! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
    They always start of reasonably fresh, and deteriorate from there on in.

I think that you may have issues with Warren though, and if he weren't already dead I'd be a bit worried about you killing him sooner or later :cry:
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Re: Your Parents Music..

by Ballysmate » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:14 pm
    I was born in '61 and therefore a teenager in the 70s. I was interested only in rock music and used to exclude almost everything else as "shite". As I have matured, hopefully in temperament as well as years, I have come to appreciate music of more varied genres. I can appreciate something in its own right, not just because it is by a favourite band. From Mozart to Motorhead and most things in between. I have the utmost respect for anyone who can perform live.
    (I still exclude most of todays music though as being utter shite.)

Keep the Faith! Radio 2.

As you can see, I posted the above, earlier this year. Radio 2 is my station of choice because it plays such an eclectic collection of music. What other station could you get such as Led Zep and Matt Munro played on the same show.
    Local commercial radio stations play the same dross all day long, interspersed with annoying adverts.
    On Radio 2 you often get tracks that you haven't heard for ages and had forgotten about.
  • IanREmery
    IanREmery Posts: 148
    I used to worship Radio 2, love the range of programmes and presenters, different music. It was the first place where I ever heard Eva Cassidy and Gurrumul, music that has stayed with me for years.

Then they got rid of Radcliffe and Maconie and replaced them with the frankly appalling Jo Whiley. Ever since then I've felt as though I'm getting too old for them, even though I'm only 33!

I now listen to them occasionally (Ken Bruce and Bob Harris are still broadcasting legends) and mix it with some 6Music and general MP3 stuff. The day they cart Bob Harris off the station is when I switch it off forever.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,944
    Radio 2 is what I have on all day at work and on the car stereo, so I suppose I'm a fan.

But like the OP I can never understand why they like certain records/people so much. Such as their current obsession with Caro f@cking Emerald. This seems to be on the wane now, thank god, but what they see in her is beyond me.

The older I get, the better I was.

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Capt Slog wrote:
    Radio 2 is what I have on all day at work and on the car stereo, so I suppose I'm a fan.

But like the OP I can never understand why they like certain records/people so much. Such as their current obsession with Caro f@cking Emerald. This seems to be on the wane now, thank god, but what they see in her is beyond me.

Everything stop for Popmaster with Ken Bruce? :lol:
  • IanREmery
    IanREmery Posts: 148
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Capt Slog wrote:

I once got 36 points in a round of Popmaster. One of my finest moments. Usually average in the teens.

(Stop sniggering at the back).
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,944
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Capt Slog wrote:

Tea-break happens then. If it gets to the question we know we're late. :)

The older I get, the better I was.

• crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    IanREmery wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Capt Slog wrote:

I once got 36 points in a round of Popmaster. One of my finest moments. Usually average in the teens.

(Stop sniggering at the back).

Been on Popmaster myself, got the full 39 points, digital radio and finished third in the Champions League popmaster and got a thirty pound record token.

One of my favourite parts of the day.
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Re: Your Parents Music..

by Ballysmate » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:14 pm
    I was born in '61 and therefore a teenager in the 70s. I was interested only in rock music and used to exclude almost everything else as "shite". As I have matured, hopefully in temperament as well as years, I have come to appreciate music of more varied genres. I can appreciate something in its own right, not just because it is by a favourite band. From Mozart to Motorhead and most things in between. I have the utmost respect for anyone who can perform live.
    (I still exclude most of todays music though as being utter shite.)

Keep the Faith! Radio 2.

As you can see, I posted the above, earlier this year. Radio 2 is my station of choice because it plays such an eclectic collection of music. What other station could you get such as Led Zep and Matt Munro played on the same show.
    Local commercial radio stations play the same dross all day long, interspersed with annoying adverts.
    On Radio 2 you often get tracks that you haven't heard for ages and had forgotten about.

I know what you mean. I have very eclectic tastes myself and I'm more than happy to listen to Led Zep next to Elton John or whatever. What I can't figure out is why they only ever play the same tunes by those artists. Elton John has loads of songs but you'll only ever hear them play a few. Same with most artists they play. Also, how does a song get to be a new 'oldie'? Warren Zevon is a classic example of a song plucked from obscurity to become a regular on the show. What does a song have to be like to become the new Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty!?

Capt slog... I know what you mean about Caro Emerald. Same with Emily Sande... she just seemed to shoot to fame off the back of R2. I won't even start talking about Katie Melua...

To be honest I'm sure R2 has got worse lately. I've listened for as long as I can remember and I don't remember ever getting so annoyed.

Pop Master is one of the only things keeping me tuned in at the moment... that and the lack of competition.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Conspiracy? Naah. He heard R2 were dropping him so he phoned them up and said reconsider me.

Boom tish.