The walk of shame

TheShrew2000
TheShrew2000 Posts: 9
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
I'm sure some of you out there must have similar experiences to this. I am a relative beginner to road cycling and have enjoyed every minute of it (even the following story) up to yet. Has anyone else had to do the walk of shame on a summers evening such as we have had today?

To set the scene, I went out for a quick ride after work today but before my wife gets back in so that I would be back in time to put tea on. In my haste I forgot where my mobile was and just left without it. That didn't bother me since I only went for a short ride of about 30 minutes and didn't intend to go far from the house. Just sort of orbit the nearby streets for a while.

Well the weather was nicer than expected and I got carried away. I went off to a big hill i know about and tried to make it to the top. As I am still a bit green, I got well past half way before taking a short break. In my defense its a long hill with a steep end. It would be worth it for the long free ride back down anyway. It was at this point that everything started to turn sour. I got back on my new clipless pedals (it's only Monday, fitted them on Saturday) and during the hill start promptly went straight onto the floor. Luckily the road was clear and my dented pride was hidden. I learned a lesson there.

Heading straight home after completing the hill, I took a short cut over some nice rough ground and must have picked up a bit of glass or something because all of a sudden there was a great whoosh of air onto my legs. Great... puncture. Here I learned another rookie lesson today. It might take 5 or even 10 minutes to fit a new tube or repair a puncture but it takes a lot longer to walk two miles home. Next time carry a spare. It never seemed that far away on the bike.

As I pushed my snazzy road bike with shiny pedals along the road i came across several other cyclists and plenty of cars. My new clipless shoes were clapping along the floor making a racket to draw further attention to me. I could feel everyones eyes burning into me "why is he pushing his bike down a hill?"

When I did make it back, 45 minutes later than I expected to be, my poor wife was what can only be described as somewhat distraught. She had every right to be though as I had ticked off all the rookie mistakes in the book.

1) take a phone 2) get more practice on clipless 3) be prepared for a puncture 4) microwave pizza isn't a great tea but it's an acceptable backup

Sorry for the long post but I needed to vent. Despite everything I still had a great ride overall. Just with a few lessons learned. Anyone else had this kind of a ride?

Comments

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Good to get them all out of the way in one go... Thanks for sharing, most of us have done similar!
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    Good first post. Cleanses the soul 'fessing up like this. Always good getting the muppety daftnesses out of the way early on.

Just don't do it again. If you do, you'll get a) no sympathy and b) the p1ss ripped out of you so bad you won't need to remember where your bathroom is for a year.

:D
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • fwgx
    fwgx Posts: 114
    Had my SPD pedals almost 2 weeks now and have had three falls so far. Two were my fault, the third my chain fell off at the bottom of a steep hill when I was barely moving - no momentum and over I went before I had a chance to think or unclip. The first two falls were ok, the latter I've crushed some cartilage or other in my wrist by bending it too far back. I have now fixed the low gear limit screw on the rear derailleur so it can't happen again - I think that the first falls may have contributed to this fault
  • Lakesman
    Lakesman Posts: 46
    sad part of this story is the other cyclists who didn't stop.
    you see someone pushing , you ask them do they need anything.
    you give them one of your tubes, or lend a pump, or a riveter, or whatever to get them moving.
    and you will feel good.
    and one day the karma will be returned to you, and you will remember, and feel good again.
    but today these guys let you down mate.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    bumpy lanes in the summer are a nuisance - in the winter the wind can often blow the little flinty stones away - in the breezeless weather they hang around like japanese snipers in tutus
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • dnwhite88
    dnwhite88 Posts: 285
    You learnt the hard way! If you ever get stuck again without a spare tube but have access to co2 or a pump from a riding buddy or cyclists that come past you can tie a knot in the tube where the hole is-bumpy as hell and you have to go slow but beats walking in cleats!
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    dnwhite88 wrote:
    You learnt the hard way! If you ever get stuck again without a spare tube but have access to co2 or a pump from a riding buddy or cyclists that come past you can tie a knot in the tube where the hole is-bumpy as hell and you have to go slow but beats walking in cleats!

Yes, this is a good idea. Also, always carry a few cable ties as they will fix all manner of things inc. a broken spoke (you can zip it to the one next to it, back off the brakes and then take it very easy) and also fix an inner as per the above but a lot less bumpy. Always carry a pump, I have seen folks have problems with CO2 and then get left with no options for inflation. CO2 for speed, pump for reliability or multiple punctures.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    And one of those penknives with a device for getting stones out of horses hooves... Never come across one yet but prevention is better than cure ...
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Lakesman wrote:
    sad part of this story is the other cyclists who didn't stop.
    you see someone pushing , you ask them do they need anything.
    you give them one of your tubes, or lend a pump, or a riveter, or whatever to get them moving.
    and you will feel good.
    and one day the karma will be returned to you, and you will remember, and feel good again.
    but today these guys let you down mate.

Yep, that is bad! Although I've never been in that situation myself, I carry a pump a repair kit and a spare tube, and would stop to help out if need be. It was notable on sportives on occasion I stopped for a rest, everyone who went by was like "ok?!"
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    The good think is the lessons were leaned on a ride you could walk home from.

I carry a multi tool, spare tube, C02 and a pump, tyre levers and a puncture repair kit. First choice for a flat is a new tube, the repair kit is for second and subsequent flats on a ride. I also have a tenner in my bag as well as a just in case. These are all in the saddle bag, so I can leave them permanently packed.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • Hopefully the lesson's learned (she says, thinking I *must* get my own set of spares...)

My OH and I both wear these: http://www.iceid.co.uk/products/WRIST-ICE.html

It's a little comfort to me when he goes out alone that should he need to be scraped off the road, at least they'll know who to contact. When he's gone for longer than expected (and he hasn't turned on the tracker on his phone) I figure that whilst no-one's called, he's probably having a good time on the bike.
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    I had a similar situation a couple of weeks ago, only mine was a broken chain. I carry everything I need to fix a puncture, but had no tools or parts for sorting out a broken chain. Luckily I was only 2miles into a 10mile ride and most of what I had cycled so far was uphill so, unlike you with a flat tyre, I could freewheel down the hills back home, so didn't take me too long and didn't have funny looks for pushing a bike down a hill - but it did ruin my ride.... :( I don't leave home on the bike without my mobile tho - just in case.
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • markhewitt1978
    You can't carry tools for everything, otherwise you'd be riding around with a massive heavy toolkit strapped to your back.
  • cattytown
    Indeed- impossible to cover all eventualities. Basic toolkit - phone and a wad of cash - phone a taxi to collect you :-)
    I forgot to add I carry a spare link for the chain as well.

Can I cover every possibility that may arise? no.
    Can I cover stuff that would be a practical roadside fix? yes.

Apologies if this sounds in anyway smug - I just don't want to have to abort if I don't need to. A chain problem would probably mean a return home, but I'd like to think that at least I'd be able to ride to somewhere where I would be easily findable.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
  • Thanks all. Some great replies in here. It does feel better to get my story aired. The lessons are still ringing in my head. I had plenty of time to ponder on them as I walked my bike home.

The idea of tying an inner tube never occurred to me. This is definitely something to have a go at next time. Hopefully there wont be a next time though. The stupidest thing is that I do have a pump on the frame and could have done something if i had thought of this. Perhaps I should invest in a saddle bag. That way I'm always prepared.

The idea of an ICE bracelet is also pretty good. Anything that would reduce the worry that I put my poor wife through would be a good thing. I'm gonna get one of these.

As for the other cyclists on the road out there. I would like to think that I would stop and help but you don't know everyone's situation as you ride past. It is sometimes easier to ride past like nothing is there and I can't blame them.

In spite of everything I will be back out there tonight and today I have a cool graze on my elbow to show off to my workmates.
  • cattytown
    Personally I wear dogtags rather than a bracelet. Having a pair means in the worst case one goes with police to contact people, the other goes with you. Can also be picked up cheaply.

I'd avoid anything using QR codes as the primary. I have a friend who is a paramedic and he tells me there are all sorts of rules on paramedics and personal information, so they tend not to get used.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
  • markp80
    markp80 Posts: 444
    Coincidentally, I got a puncture yesterday, about 7 miles from home (from a pothole I suspect, when I think back). Fortunately I had everything I needed with me to get going again, except my hands were a bit of an oily, mucky mess when I'd finished.
    So, I've now added a pair of those disposable rubber gloves to my spares kit.

Cheers,
    MarkP
    Boardman Road Comp - OK, I went to Halfords
    Tibia plateau fracture - the rehab continues!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Decent tyres do help with P*nctures. I love my GPS4000S.

And get a track pump for home so you know you're running at the right pressure. Too high or to low and its not good.
  • markhewitt1978
    Thanks all. Some great replies in here. It does feel better to get my story aired. The lessons are still ringing in my head. I had plenty of time to ponder on them as I walked my bike home.

The idea of tying an inner tube never occurred to me. This is definitely something to have a go at next time. Hopefully there wont be a next time though. The stupidest thing is that I do have a pump on the frame and could have done something if i had thought of this. Perhaps I should invest in a saddle bag. That way I'm always prepared.

The idea of an ICE bracelet is also pretty good. Anything that would reduce the worry that I put my poor wife through would be a good thing. I'm gonna get one of these.

As for the other cyclists on the road out there. I would like to think that I would stop and help but you don't know everyone's situation as you ride past. It is sometimes easier to ride past like nothing is there and I can't blame them.

In spite of everything I will be back out there tonight and today I have a cool graze on my elbow to show off to my workmates.

Despite what some say you *need* a saddle bag IMO, which contains at minimum, 2 tyre levers, multitool, puncture repair kit. Also a good idea: spare inner tube. A frame mounted pump is a good idea, although some will say CO2 is the way to go.
  • Schoie81
    cattytown wrote:
    Personally I wear dogtags rather than a bracelet. Having a pair means in the worst case one goes with police to contact people, the other goes with you. Can also be picked up cheaply.

I'd avoid anything using QR codes as the primary. I have a friend who is a paramedic and he tells me there are all sorts of rules on paramedics and personal information, so they tend not to get used.

Paul.

Yeah - QR codes seems a strange idea for something thats supposed to help you in an emergency - what if the person that finds you doesn't have a smartphone? Or has no idea what a QR code is? I have 'ICE' stored in my phone and have done for many years, but I think the tags/braclets are a better idea - what if the person that finds you doesn't know how to use your phone, or as in my case now, your phone has some sort of protected screen lock - anyone who found me wouldn't be able to get into my contact list to ring anyone anyway. Also, you could come off in an area with no signal, your phone get broken if you've fallen off or the battery dies.

I might get myself a tag too! Or as you say, maybe even a couple of them.
  • cattytown
    Putting stuff in a saddle bag means it is there - you don't have to remember it. CO2 is fine, but I'd always have a pump as well - don't quite tighten something properly up and all the gas escapes...
    Giant Defy 2
  • markhewitt1978
    cattytown wrote:
    Putting stuff in a saddle bag means it is there - you don't have to remember it. CO2 is fine, but I'd always have a pump as well - don't quite tighten something properly up and all the gas escapes...

Or you run out of gas. Which is why I carry a pump and no CO2. Yes the pump won't inflate you to full road pressures, but it's fine to get me home.
  • dee4life2005
    dee4life2005 Posts: 773
    When I bought my first bike about 18 months ago, I rode over a narrow bridge instead of dismounting. Being new I was a bit wobbly and clipped the handrail with my handlebars. The handlebars flipped round and the front tyre ended up with a pinch flat (snakebite).
    I had a saddlebag with 2 tubes, levers etc. and a pump. I hadn't changed a tyre on a bike since I was a kid over 20 years ago, but thought I knew how.

I tried to use the pump but was confused when it wouldn't fit - it was described as being compatible with Schraeder and Presta - but was pre-configured for Schraeder. I hadn't read the instructions so I didn't know I had to (or how to) dismantle it and swap over the adapter for presta valves ... so there I was with all the kit to repair the puncture, but couldn't use the pump to put air in the tyre.

In this time about a dozen cyclists had passed and not one asked if I needed help - perhaps it looked like I had things under control?

Anyway, 2 mile walk of shame back to the house :-(

I now always RTFM before using any kit for the first time, just in case.
  • markp80
    markp80 Posts: 444
    Yes the pump won't inflate you to full road pressures, but it's fine to get me home.
    - Depends on your pump. Mine goes up to full pressure no problem.

Cheers,
    MarkP
    Boardman Road Comp - OK, I went to Halfords
    Tibia plateau fracture - the rehab continues!
  • neilhannam
    neilhannam Posts: 58
    On the subject of punctures i run slime filled inners on my MTB but the road crowd don't seem so keen. Is that because of the extra weight, higher tyre pressures meaning it doesn't work as well or is there another reason they are frowned upon. Lost count the number of times that innovation has saved me in the past but reluctant to do it on the road bike yet.

My own walk of shame story involves a snapped chain 13 miles from home. When I could finally pick up some reception out in the middle of nowhere no one I rang was answering, even my girlfriend who knows i'd only ring her while out on a ride if I was in some bother. Long walk home in cleats, half a dozen cyclists passed before two in a row stopped to ask if I was okay but by this time I was only a couple miles from home and like most people they weren't carrying anything to fix a chain anyway. These days I tend to ride zig-zag type routes rather than long out and back stretches so im never too far from home should something happen.
  • cattytown wrote:

Paul.

I have one of these - http://goo.gl/FQTGq

and an ICE app on my phone which can be opened without unlocking the phone
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    neilhannam wrote:
    On the subject of punctures i run slime filled inners on my MTB but the road crowd don't seem so keen. Is that because of the extra weight, higher tyre pressures meaning it doesn't work as well or is there another reason they are frowned upon. Lost count the number of times that innovation has saved me in the past but reluctant to do it on the road bike yet.

I used a slime filled tube once. It just made a big old mess and made the tube irreparable as the slime everywhere made patching the tube impossible on the road. Haven't bothered since. It was a bad puncture though - may have been irreparable anyway. I suspect it might just work on a slow puncture but then you can fix them anyway once you get home. I avoid them like the plague now. I'm interested to read that someone likes them though.

To the OP - I think we all do this once. `As said, a lesson learned hard is a lesson well learned. It's worth practicing changing tyres and tubes at home lots of times. Although everyone is quite blasé about it around here -I personally think that changing tubes and tyres on the road is far from the easiest task in bike maintenance. There are many bits of maintenance that are far easier.
    It took me a good six months of riding as an adult before I stopped throwing away punctured inner tubes and actually found myself able to mend them satisfactorily.
  • Schoie81
    MarkP80 wrote:
    Yes the pump won't inflate you to full road pressures, but it's fine to get me home.
    - Depends on your pump. Mine goes up to full pressure no problem.

Cheers,
    MarkP

Mine too!! :)
  • lm_trek
    lm_trek Posts: 1,470
    Will admit i often go out without the phone just habit i like to be undisturbed, i do always carry driving licence (id) bank card, £10, bike has saddle bag with tube, multi-tool, tyre levers, and a bottle of water and a pump which never leaves the bike. I hope others would do as i do and offer help.

Today i passed a cyclist coming back from solihull, bike upside down puncture, i checked all was good offered to help but he had it sorted, he seemed surprised someone had offered to help. Just karma sure it goes around.
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    I find my phone useful for its maps personally, depends how far out in the wilds you like to ride of course - I doubt I'd hear it ringing on the handlebars in its case :-)