Prologo from Taiwan

deadfall
deadfall Posts: 32
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm needing a new saddle as after 25 miles my current one becomes uncomfortable (stock caad8, too wide I have a skinny bum). I like the sound of the Prologo Scratch and have seen loads of them for sale on Ebay from Taiwan. These all seem to weigh 300+ grams, which is a lot more than other places list. Is this just the ebay sellers being lazy? Or are these fakes?

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Fake.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • denniskwok
    denniskwok Posts: 339
    I was looking a the cheap Prologo saddles on ebay too, but if something looks too good to be true...

Instead, I bought a Nack Evo Ti 1.4 from Ribble for only £65. They have Prologo Scratch Pro Ti 1.4s for the same price.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    denniskwok wrote:
    I was looking a the cheap Prologo saddles on ebay too, but if something looks too good to be true...

Instead, I bought a Nack Evo Ti 1.4 from Ribble for only £65. They have Prologo Scratch Pro Ti 1.4s for the same price.

Haha ebay searches like buses or anne widdicombes orgies come in 3's for I too was looking and the taiwanese saddles - wouldn't risk the money. Cheers for the heads up on the ribble ones.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • benjboy
    benjboy Posts: 258
    Bought one from China and it is real not fake. Very happy with it and for £36.00 . happy days.
    Keep the chain tight all the way.
  • Grill
    benjboy wrote:
    Bought one from China and it is real not fake. Very happy with it and for £36.00 . happy days.

Except it's not.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Some Chinese fakes look a lot like the thing they purport to be. But they are not the real thing.

Take the risk if you like with jerseys or trainers, but you'd be mad to gamble with safety critical components like frames, forks, bars etc.
  • denniskwok
    denniskwok Posts: 339
    keef66 wrote:
    Some Chinese fakes look a lot like the thing they purport to be. But they are not the real thing.

Take the risk if you like with jerseys or trainers, but you'd be mad to gamble with safety critical components like frames, forks, bars etc.

Just to play devils advocate, I bought a pair of Chinese carbon clinchers a year ago and they've been nothing but excellent.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    keef66 wrote:

I had a genuine Prologo Zero II PAS bought from Evans and one I bought from eBay. The two look identical even down to the molding stamps on the underside, they both have the same material on the saddle and the same amount of padding. They are absolutely identical in width and lenght and appearance. The only difference i can find is a 24g weight difference and i belive that the extra weight is from the rails which seem to be a heavier steel/alloy on the fake/cheap ebay saddle. Other than that i can see no noticeable difference in the two (and I spent nearly an examining them closely off the bike)

I have read anecdotal reports that they're seconds from the factory where genuine prologo saddles are produced in china and that they use cheaper rails on them.

I would have absolutely no hesitation recommending one of them (from eBay that is) as they are less than 1/4 the price in some instances.
  • Grill
    Flex will be different.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Grill wrote:
    Flex will be different.

Do you really know this for sure?
  • Grill
    DKay wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    Flex will be different.

Do you really know this for sure?

Yes. Even if the saddles were made in the same factory with identical layups and carbon, the rails react to stress differently causing them to flex in different ways.

Check out WW for the thread on those who have real S-Works Toupe saddles vs. knockoffs.