XT Free hubs

rubertoe
rubertoe Posts: 3,994
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
What do i need to remove and replace a Shimano XT freehub body?

Is this something I can do being fairly competent with a spanner and a set of allen keys?
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    a 10mm allen key for most.

but the correct info can be found on shimanos webby with the correct pat number........
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    You'll also need 15 & 17mm cone spanners to remove the axle

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... ub-service
  • rubertoe
    I have all the tools it would seem, Just not the confidence.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    If you have ever adjusted cup and cone bearings you already have the skills needed. A vice and an axle holder are handy but not essential really the only awkward part is adjusting the bearings after you have put it back together oh and finding the ball bearing you just dropped. Whilst you have the hub apart do a complete service with a clean of everything and shiny new balls and new grease.

I did a swap last week and decided to cut the old knackered freehub up to see what was inside

9244748933_bfc4714702_z.jpg
    P1020507 by fastmongrel, on Flickr
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    nicklouse wrote:
    a 10mm allen key for most.
    And a MASSIVE extension bar, a good breakfast, maybe some rest before you start, and a massive dose of MTFU and grunting help too.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Ignore Yeehaa as he is Welsh and therefore short and not very strong.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rubertoe
    I took it to the LBS in the end. I doubt i would of ever got the free hub off of the Hub that CRC sent me as a warranty replacement.

• YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Getting a freehub off an unlaced hub is an exercise in futility. I bent a 6 foot steel bar trying to remove a saint freehub, how you'd apply that torque to a dinky little hub, I have no idea.