London to Hull

andrewsteels
andrewsteels Posts: 4
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Hello everyone, I've been an avid reader for a few months and thought it time to see if i can get any advice from you guys. Each year we do a charity ride through work for a local hospice and have this year decided to travel from our offices in London up to Hull on the August bank holiday weekend.
I'm just looking for training tips, (should we be trying to replicate the miles needed) and any general advice for distance riding day after day, we are looking at around 90 miles on the Saturday & Sunday and around 60 on the monday.

Comments

• Lycra-Byka
    Lycra-Byka Posts: 292
    why Hull? Horrid place. Lol

Advice- time in the saddle. NOW!!! You havent got long!

What mileage a day can you do now?

Try a few rides with all the gear your going to use/take on similar terrain(mostly flat for the second day-rolling hills before that )

Other than that ,with info received from you,just ride as much as possible.
  • Lammya
    Lammya Posts: 10
    I'm from Hull and there is some great places to ride around here. It has a bad reputation but its nowhere near as bad as people say.

Enjoy ur ride
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Most people who criticise Kingston Upon Hull have never been.

I rode there from Nottingham a year or so back and it was a very pleasant ride until it chucked it down over the Himber Bridge. Ended up an four hour long eighty something miles with a bit of a tail wind to help.

Pretty flat so you should have no major problems of you get used to spend on time in he saddle.
  • Lycra-Byka
    Lycra-Byka Posts: 292
    I know Hull well. That's why I criticise it. As a town it's horrid.

Roads around are good though, some nice scenery, that can't be denied.

End of thread hijack.
  • Thanks for your help. I'm up to 55-60 miles a day now so hoping to up that in the next 5 weeks or so before the ride. Not having any issues with the distance from a cardio side just seem to get some shoulder/neck pain, need to learn to shuffle about in the saddle a bit.

Again thanks for the help.