Scott Multitool

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
Was looking around for another multitool to save me keep having to swap mine from commuting stuff to MTB stuff (or worse still forgetting), spotted one of these in a local store for just under £10.
http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/tools- ... 12-p198003
The list price looks pretty reasonable as is, so is it too good to be true or well worth getting?

Didn't even know Scott did tools before I spotted this!
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Probably just rebranded and looks like a bog standard sub £10 multitool to me.
    Integral chain tools are horrible.
    Grump over long day going home.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So ignore me.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That on-one is cheap, but I never like the bent wire 'sideplates' as the bolts never seem to stay done up tight!

The integral chain tool on my Lezyne works just great CD!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I have given up on multi tools now carrying a small 2,3,4,5,6mm plus a torx key set of folding Pedros allen keys and a small Top Peak chain breaker. I gave up with a multi tool when I spent ages trying to do up a saddle bolt with a 5 mm key that was too short and had to be repositioned 6 times for every turn of the bolt because of all the useless crap tools that got in the way.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    The Scott one looks reasonable, CR-V tools so should last OK and tools look long enough to use with out too much problem. Otherwise I do the same as above, ie separate allen key and small chain breaker. You get good quality tools for only a little bit more.

I think I've got the same Pedros set as Stubs. Tools are of a high quality and feel better than my mates much more expensive Crank Bros one. Also a small cheap chain breaker from Superstar, I use this rarely so the slight lack in quality is not an issue but it works better than some of the really small one that come integrated in to multi tools. I think in total it was about £16 so a bit more than the Scott one but the overall quality and performance is same as or better than the expensive options like CB and Park which can retail for £25+

Also talking a look at the On One and Scott tools they look like the same one but with different end plates.