Shimano 105 / Tiagra

stevetaylor20
stevetaylor20 Posts: 22
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
I am fairly new to road bikes, and have a bordman limited with shimano 105 and tiagra shifters.

I was having problems with the gears shifting to a higher cog without it miss-changing or taking a few seconds to change gear. With this problem, when i pushed the large silver lever on the right, to the left, to move onto a large cog at the back, I pushed it until it clicked and then let it back in the normal position, this gave me problems 50% of gear changes. I was thinking there was something wrong with the bike and the halfords guy swore that after test riding it he could not replicate my problem.

NOW I was messing around changing my style and, i've been pushing the right shifter to the left and when I hear the click I go a little further and then allow back to the original position, and it seems to work fine. The smaller lever I push to the left and when that clicks it works fine, so going down to smaller cogs on the back cassette works fine.

Am I mad or something or is this normal? I thought that, like on some standard hybrid commuter handle bar gears I could push the lever until I hear a click and then let go.

THis would explain why the bike mechanic at halfords could not replicate the problem, and I have heard that 105 on boardman are slightly less responsive that gearing on a smae spec Specialized. Thoughts? What i'm trying to do is figure out if there is a problem as i've jsut bought it you know, and i don't trust halfords. FYI if anyone knows of the best place to have a bike setup in london, please tell me as i'd like them to do it.

Comments

• NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    So let me get this right, in another post you are a cycling god, smoking everyone in sight, yet you cant index the gears correctly, and actually believe that the same group-set changes differently depending on which brand of bike it is installed on!

You really couldn't make up some of the nonsense that gets posted on here
  • Get a life outside of lyrca
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    You really are quite a bizarre example of humanity, you clearly have many many issues yet you tell others to get a life! wow
  • Alienman
    Alienman Posts: 91
    There is probably too much slack in the rear derailleur cable. Tighten it up and that should get it shifting smoother.
    '09 Rocky Mountain Fusion
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Why do people come on a road cycling forum and slag of lycra and clipless pedals lol.

Kind of ok if you do not like these things, but don't slag them off to people who use them because they are obviously the best option.

Its funny that the people who do this often spout other rubbish too :lol:

It gives the beginners section a bad name. It should be for people wanting to get into road cycling a little more, not people with serious reservations about it in the first place :shock:
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Teddies back in prams!

In answer to the original question, and in case anyone browsing through Road Beginners might be interested, I find with my 105 I do have to shift slightly beyond the click to get a clean gear-change on to a bigger sprocket.
  • marcusww
    marcusww Posts: 202
    keef66 wrote:
    Teddies back in prams!

In answer to the original question, and in case anyone browsing through Road Beginners might be interested, I find with my 105 I do have to shift slightly beyond the click to get a clean gear-change on to a bigger sprocket.

This is the same with Ultegra also. When my bike was new it shifted great. My belief is that the 10 speed shifting has fine tolerances and that cable adjustments have to be EXACT. My other theory is that if you get dust / dirt build up in the cables, shifters and mechs then the shifting may get very slightly restricted / problematical due to this dirt build up in critical places. (I would welcome other theories or exact causes)

At least you can compensate with these index problems if you need to. On a recent IOW sportive I was following a guy up a steep hill near the middel of the island when his Di2 would not shift accurately - many rude words was heard by us overtaking him!
  • OK, I'll give you the answer. Your gears are probably out of adjustment because the cable as stretched slightly has it has bedded in - its a simple fix. Set the gear to the third smallest cog and adjust the barrel adjuster on the rear derailleur.

I usually do this by eye - if you can get your eye line directly parallel with the chain you can look at how the chain comes off the sprocket and adjust the RD until the chain is dead in the middle. Alternatively you can make adjustments a bit at a time until shifting is as it should be. As a starter I'd suggest a couple of turns anti-clockwise on the adjuster. Once everything has settled down and adjusted correctly it should stay that way for many miles.