Air Conditioning.............

solosuperia
solosuperia Posts: 333
edited July 2013 in The cake stop
In the winter when I'm freezing to death, people come on the TV etc. and tell me to turn the thermostat down on my central heating a few degrees.
Why in the summer does no one tell you to turn your air/con up a few degrees.
Just listening to the radio someone was banging on about how much air travel contributes to damaging the planet.

What percentage of damage is attributed to air travel and what percentage is blamed on air/con.
I don't ever remember anyone mentioning air conditioning..... It must have some huge detrimental affect that is particularly noticable in cars etc. as petrol consumption goes up and performance goes down!
Supermarkets?
Offices?

Comments

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Supermarkets refrigerating the air around the chill cabinets because the punters are too bone idle to open a door .... Grrr
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    here in subtropical london i'm still happily under the duvet at night, not sure what all the heatwave fuss is about, people are getting soft, when i were lad etc.
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • gavbarron
    gavbarron Posts: 824
    In the winter when I'm freezing to death, people come on the TV etc. and tell me to turn the thermostat down on my central heating a few degrees.

Because in the UK everyone has heating but how many houses have AC?
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    gavbarron wrote:

Because in the UK everyone has heating but how many houses have AC?

Exactly this. Temperatures are not regularly hot enough to warrant an AC system for houses. Surprisingly the ASDA superstores have the lowest energy usage of all the large supermarkets despite the large amount of refridgerations units. We recently did a energy assessment of the energy use and demand for the Cambridge, and for a building with their use it is exceptional. Very clever use of air curtains for the refridgeration units.

Air travel is very damaging per capita.