Which Inner Tube to use?

davidefernandes
davidefernandes Posts: 54
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Need help please sorry!!

I have wheels which says 622 x 13c on, I have tyres which say 700 x 23c on, I'm confused as to which inner tube I should be using, I am using Continental Race Inner Tube 700x18/25 LV60mm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005 ... UTF8&psc=1

However when inflating the tube, a bulge appears at one point on the tyre which make me think that the inner tube is too big and is bunching at that point?

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Your tyre is 700x23 so a tube marked 700x18/25 is the right one.

Don't worry about the bulging, it will never do that once inside the tyre.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    622x13c
    This is a marketing term for wide 622 mm ("700c") tires.

Bulge on the tyre? ...Is the rim holding it properly? Is the tyre broke?
  • Dr lodge, cheers for your answer, however the bulging is happening when the tube/tyre is on the wheel and it goes past a certain pressure.

One thing I didnt mention earlier, prob should have, sorry. As I was cycling this morning the bulge appeared, was going quite fast, couldnt slow down in time, it blew up and the bead of the tyre is now frayed, could this be part of the problem?

Have attached photos as not sure I'm describing it very well!!
  • drlodge
    Wow, looks like the bead has come away from the tyre...new tyre is required!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • drlodge wrote:
    Wow, looks like the bead has come away from the tyre...new tyre is required!

Excellent thank you, annoyingly the tyres are new on, about 100 miles on them maybe! I have the old ones in the shed, will change over later! I guess this is why the bulge was being let loose then?

thanks again!
  • drlodge
    I would try and get a refund from wherever your purchased them, they should last more than 100 miles, although the shop may try and blamd you for not fitting them properly.
    Find me on Strava
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    drlodge wrote:
    I would try and get a refund from wherever your purchased them, they should last more than 100 miles, although the shop may try and blamd you for not fitting them properly.

To play Devils Advocate, I guess I wouldn't blame a shop for wondering how this tire was mounted. I've seen people use all sorts of tools to acomplish this and all sorts of struggles insue, that could damage a tire.
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    A bulge in the tire means that something is wrong -

1) A section of the bead of the tire is not seated properly in the rim.
    A visual inspection of how the tire sits on the rim should reveal if the tire is not seated properly.
    If the rim is quite old, it might not be appropriate for modern 'folding tires'.
    The folding tires are designed for use on rims that have a definite 'hook' on the inside of the rim wall that locks onto the bead section of the tire.
    Some older rims have fairly straight & smooth inner walls, and they depend on the strong wire bead type of tire to hold the tire securely to the rim.

2) A section of the 'cords' in the casing of the tire are weak or broken which allows the tire to bulge at that location.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    JayKosta wrote:

no sh1t. Do you copy and paste this stuff?
  • Imposter wrote:
    JayKosta wrote:

no sh1t. Do you copy and paste this stuff?

And people say that there are unhelpful and rude clowns on cycling forums! Where they get that idea from I'll never know!!