Big decision to be made....

spasypaddy
spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
edited July 2013 in Commuting chat
... What colour cables?
IMG_20130711_081659_zpsd4522496.jpg

no this isnt just an excuse to post a picture of my bike again... i need to change the cabling as its 2 years old and worn.

what colour outers should i go for?
http://jagwire.com/products/v/road_pro

should i stay white? or should i go black/red/yellow/something else?

Comments

• Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    I would choose red personally.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Black. Its just cables FFS, why draw attention to them?
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    BigMat wrote:
    +1. And then go cycling.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't agonise over the colour of every component on my bikes...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    How did it get worn in two years? My Ribble is heading towards four years old and on over 12000 miles. There is no sign of internal or external damage. I have no intention of replacing them any time soon though I do have a replacement Campag cable set in the spares drawer. The cables are black. Maybe there's your answer.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,357
    TGOTB wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    +1. And then go cycling.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't agonise over the colour of every component on my bikes...
    Me three
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades and all that.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • spasypaddy
    Rolf F wrote:
    How did it get worn in two years? My Ribble is heading towards four years old and on over 12000 miles. There is no sign of internal or external damage. I have no intention of replacing them any time soon though I do have a replacement Campag cable set in the spares drawer. The cables are black. Maybe there's your answer.
    all the outers are cracking. (and i need to replace my right hand shifter)
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    BigMat wrote:

you've completely missed the point.

I'd go with red.

I'm waiting for the grey ones on my Bianchi to "go" so i can replace with Celeste
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • rolf_f
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

The RH shifter should be irrelevant but how on earth are they cracking? What manufacturer? I've got cables on bikes that are over 30 years old and not cracked!

But anyway - black. Anything else looks like you are trying too hard.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    To be fair one of my Campag outers is a bit cracked - can easily happen. I should qualify my earlier comment - I have red Hudz, FFS, what a hypocrite! ;)
  • spasypaddy
    Rolf F wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

The RH shifter should be irrelevant but how on earth are they cracking? What manufacturer? I've got cables on bikes that are over 30 years old and not cracked!

But anyway - black. Anything else looks like you are trying too hard.
    well when i turn the bars the cabling is creaking, it never did that originally. think its jagwire cables. my mechanic whos doing the work says they should be replaced. Note: one he doesnt get paid as hes my mate, i buy us a takeaway and some beers to work in his home workshop, and two i dont buy stuff through his shop.

so apart from dinner and a few beers he gets nothing out of it. i trust him to not fuck me over
  • rolf_f
    I'm sure they do need replacing - it just seems odd that they have lasted so poorly. I guess you've not put bonkers miles on the Look?
  • spasypaddy
    no not a huge amount of mileage but still a decent wedge.

but its still two years old and during the two winters it was stored in a box in the garage so its probably had a touch of damp into the cabling